Input shaft bearing?

Cheeks

Reaction score
So it looks like I need a new clutch in very soon So I may as well tackle the other issue I've had for a while, best way to describe the noise is that it's almost like a whining noise slightly scraping/grinding (like a rough bearing...) and I'm not getting confused with the gearbox whine.

When it happens
All gears, when foot is off clutch, when foot is off accelerator, may happen during acceleration but the engine overpowers that noise.

How it goes away
Push clutch pedal down

Anyone have any ideas?

Usually when you have this noise and it disappears when you depress the clutch,it is the clutch thrust/release bearing.

I've not experienced it with my S3 so I don't know if the dual mass clutches are any different but have suffered it with others cars I've owned.

Hopefully someone will confirm.

From what I've heard it's either the input shaft bearing you can see when you take the gearbox out or the release bearing.

Only thing that's throwing it off is that it's not getting exactly the same symptoms, apparently release bearing would give a squealing noise, which I'm not getting at all, only get the noise while driving and letting off the power.

Forgot to put it in on my original post but the car is a 1.6 sport
Pretty sure it's single mass flywheel

I thought a whining whilst driving would lean towards input/layshaft bearing whereas a grumbling sound whilst the car is sat in neutral,ticking over,then disappearing on depressing the clutch,would be thrust/release bearing.

As said,I'm not a gearbox/clutch expert,far from it,so let's hope a brainier bod will put us right.

Haha I think you're right tbh mate, yeah it's just while driving like, nothing on idle, I hope it's something like release bearing, last thing I want to do is dismantle a gearbox

Digging this one back out!
Just had my clutch done, along with release bearing (really weird, it was in the back of the gearbox, green cap)

I'm still getting the same noise, and although a lot better and lower bite point, I'm still getting judder, only in first gear though.

Anyone?
Car - 1.6 A3

Dmf can give a judder, but it will make a rattling noise rather than a grinding, screech or squeal. It is possible you have crankshaft oil seal leaking oil onto the clutch, causing the judder.

Smf as far as I know, and when the clutch went in mechanic said he didn't see any leak