Whining when under load

psings

Reaction score
I've had my 2012 A4 for almost a year and not even done 10k miles yet. In total the car has covered 73k miles.

On Saturday morning whilst driving, I noticed that the car had suddenly developed a whining type of noise when the throttle was applied. It happens in all gears from 2nd to 6th, and the noise gets higher pitched the faster the car is moving and higher the gear.

I haven't noticed it whilst letting off the throttle and it's not there when standing and revving, however a quiet warbling kind of noise can be heard when out of gear and pushing the clutch in and out. There is no stiffness changing gears at all.

I took a detour to an Audi dealer who took it for a drive. They told me it would either be a differential bearing or more likely the synchro between 2nd and 3rd packing up.

Does that sound right?

it would help if you stated engine gbox and quattro or not.

because a whine can mean other things like a boost like or a turbo close to failure the list is endless

as a whine to me may not be a whine to you ie the same noise as everyone describes it differently especially people with little mechanical knowledge

It's a tdi 143 6 speed, non-quattro.

I've got a recording where I've attempted to isolate the noise - around 1 to 16 seconds you can hear it. I blip the throttle in second gear at 3 seconds in a couple of times which produces the noise - http://84.200.230.148/files/whine.mp3

The noise occurs right through the rev range and is audible over 20mph.

tbh i cant hear anything but i am work with a crappy built in speaker ill listen again later

I can't really hear anything on that sound clip. If the noise is related to speed and load I would probably go with a differential bearing. This was a wheel bearing on my B8, very common fault but won't be what yours is as it doesn't disappear when taking your foot off the accelerator.

So after a lot of hassle from the warranty's "approved" garages who didn't want to touch it I've had a diagnosis from a mechanic recommended by my boss.

He drove it around and immediately said it was the differential pinion bearing and is apparently a common fault on this model.