Please help, my hard drive has disappeared !!

sidicks

Reaction score
Tried to turn my hone PC on yesterday and it doesn't work - seems to suggest that it couldn't boot up windows 98 as it 'could not be found'.

I tried to reinstall it but it is teling me that there isn't a c: drive anymore.

We do have a virus detector, so I'm hoping it's not a virus.

I tempted to open up the case and check all the connectors to ensure the c: drive is connected properly, and if that doesn't work, bash it with a hammer (at least that will make me feel better !)

Anyone know of any viruses 'dong the rounds' that would cause this to happen ?

Anyone got any suggestions as to what to try next?

Cheers

sidicks

I'm not sure what I did but it seems to have worked - something to do with BIOS settings - it seemed that somehow the hard drive was disabled, so I enabled it !

Anyway thanks for the help...

I'm off to by a CDRW to back-up the PC in case this happens again - anyone recommend a good one ?

Thanks

sidicks

Before you spend lots of money on something like that, check it's not something as simple as the battery on your motherboard running flat and losing the settings - that could explain why the hard disk was 'lost'.

Does the machine lose time at all?

Alex.

Agree with Alex, sounds like a BIOS battery to me. If it does it again next time you power the machine down then change the battery and see if that fixes it.

Christian