Downpipe problems

Carl88

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this site so bare with me..

I got the 2002 225 BAM engine and I have had a 3inch downpipe installed and I'm having problems with it, it's vibrating and rattling on the body and propshaft also you can here it resting on the propshaft rubbing and squeaking as you drive, the heat shield has been removed for more space but there's a lot of play. if any of you have had this before please can you help any suggestions?

Thanks carl.

Attachments

• 20160909_194648.jpg
    20160909_194648.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 199
  • 20160909_194435.jpg
    20160909_194435.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 142
I wouldn't remove the heatshield... its there for a reason... you need to either 'adjust' the DP's position by slackening it on the turbo and using the slack to lift the DP up/down accordingly..

Some people have had to put a tactical dent in the DP where it hits to add clearance...

I assume the DP you have is a relentless (or clone) and not a pipewerx?

<tuffty/>

I'm going to put exhaust heat rap around it I wasn't the one who done it so the heat shield has been bin'd wasn't happy.. because I keep parts just for back up.

And brought it of eBay it didn't have a make!

I will have a look later and look at the position from the turbo..

Also not change the dogbone engine mount.

Its pretty much a prerequisite to fit an uprated dogbone bush when fitting a 3" DP... the engine mounts are wobbly at best on 1.8t's... they are all most likely past their sell by date but the dogbone bush will go a long way to limiting engine movement

<tuffty/>

Ok I will buy one now I was going to do the engine mounts at some point anyway thanks for your help i will keep you up dated on the situation..

Thanks <tuffty/>

All I did was update the "easy" part of the dog bone engine mount bush with a powerflex yellow and so far (for me) it has been good enough, for my cheap ebay downpipe.

there is a whole posh sports dog bone you can buy for about £50 the "easy" bush is only about £25

Ok thanks Stuart B..

I have brought the ECS one with red bush's they where the once I was going to get anyway..

But I have discovered that it might be the propshaft at the joint underneath the gear-nob.. witch is making me think it is the dogbone mount possibly because if the engine is moving back and forth it may be bringing the propshaft back and forth with the engine as it's connected so hopefully changing the dogbone mount will do the job..

I was looking at the smart ECS one too also 034 motorsport I think make one - already assembled.

be careful of the long thin bolts, I somehow ruined the thread of one of mine and was lucky enough to cut off 1cm and still get it back in.

Yeah I will be careful thanks Stuart B I will post again if it has sorted the problem