A3 Sb S-line light upgrades?

Jnsio

Reaction score
Hey all.

So I've recently bought a 2007 A3 sb S-line and already done quite a few small upgrades to it such as installed cruise control (thanks to the great guides found on here:grimacing:), automatic DRLs, and coming/leaving home lights.

Now I'm looking to upgrade the halogen DRLs as well as the tail lights, so my question is what would be the easiest way to upgrade the DRLs to xenon/bi-xenons and what would it require? As far as I've researched there doesn't seem to be a easy way for the DRLs so I decided to ask here.

The tail lights should be fairly easy to upgrade to the 09 LED lights with the kufatec adapter I think? I have VCDS and know how to use it fairly well.

Also if theres any other other good upgrades to do Id like to know :welcoming: Going to stick with cosmetic/comfort upgrades for now and go into the performance next winter when I have the time since ill be doing it all by myself.

Thanks in advance :)
A3BB

We can supply/fit genuine audi front & rear lights wired as per factory no adapters, pm if interested in this service.

How did you do the coming home lights is it just something you activate?

Also is yours phantom black as may be putting mine back to standard soon so may be some parts available?

I've modified the front and rear lights on my '06 Sportback that I bought a few months ago.
The stock halogen headlights were replaced with s/h Genuine Audi single xenon units fitted with new Osram Cool Blue Intense D2S bulbs ,and PIAA H7 bulbs for main beam, other than modifying the xenon headlights to use the halogen headlight adjustment motors it was an easy swap...(do a search on here for details) .
The rears I just fitted new Magneti Marelli LED units from ECP.
At the front I also fitted Osram Cool Blue Intense ( H11 bulbs as mine is an S-Line) to my foglights and enabled DRLs from the front fogs having turned down the brightness to 65% intensity using VCDS.
The colour match between the fogs and dipped headlights is pretty darned close IMO, considering that one of them is xenon and the other halogen.
Over-all, I'm delighted with the results.

I've modified the front and rear lights on my '06 Sportback that I bought a few months ago.
The stock halogen headlights were replaced with s/h Genuine Audi single xenon units fitted with new Osram Cool Blue Intense D2S bulbs ,and PIAA H7 bulbs for main beam, other than modifying the xenon headlights to use the halogen headlight adjustment motors it was an easy swap...(do a search on here for details) .
The rears I just fitted new Magneti Marelli LED units from ECP.

Thank you, something like this was what I was looking for:grin:

Any idea how much all that cost you? Also how are the Magneti Marelli lights? Seen a pair fairly close to me for a pretty decent price.

How did you do the coming home lights is it just something you activate?

Yes, just activated them with VCDS. My car doesn't have the daylight sensor so the DRLs go on everytime I unlock the car (for now) since I dont have the daylight sensor yet, but I'm fine with that since it gets very dark early here in the winter.

Also is yours phantom black as may be putting mine back to standard soon so may be some parts available?

It is :smug:

Thank you, something like this was what I was looking for:grin:

Any idea how much all that cost you? Also how are the Magneti Marelli lights? Seen a pair fairly close to me for a pretty decent price.

Single xenons appear to go for around £300 the pair currently and the LED rear lights with a 30% discount code at ECP came in at just over £150.
I didn't want bi-xenons as that would have necessitated more wiring changes with the headlight connectors and even more expensive bulbs.
Using s/h headlights I wasn't going to use s/h bulbs in them so the Osram bulbs cost just over £60, there are so many fake Osram bulbs on eBay I bought mine via Amazon and they came marked with a hologram security code that you can check online to check they are kosher :smile new:.
The Magneti Marelli lights are OEM, they just don't come in an Audi box when purchased from Euro, the manufacturing marks on them are actually Automotive Lighting , the same brand as the factory halogen and single xenon headlights.
Unless you can get yours very cheap I'd be inclined to buy new ones!
I used a wiring adapter with the rear lights as I didn't want to cut my rear wiring in any way and the total cost was over £500 for everything, front and rear.
Not cheap, but at night my car now looks awesome, even if I do say it myself :sm4:.
At a much lower cost, I've replaced every single interior light bulb with a pure white LED equivalent and also retrofitted rear footwell lighting.
My car already had the complete ambient lighting package fitted as an option so luckily I didn't have much to do really in that department!
For less than £50 in total the interior at night has been transformed.
In terms of value for money, the LED rear lights and interior bulb changes are the best IMHO as they change the looks so dramatically.

Last edited:
Single xenons appear to go for around £300 the pair currently and the LED rear lights with a 30% discount code at ECP came in at just over £150.
I didn't want bi-xenons as that would have necessitated more wiring changes with the headlight connectors and even more expensive bulbs.
Using s/h headlights I wasn't going to use s/h bulbs in them so the Osram bulbs cost just over £60, there are so many fake Osram bulbs on eBay I bought mine via Amazon and they came marked with a hologram security code that you can check online to check they are kosher :smile new:.
The Magneti Marelli lights are OEM, they just don't come in an Audi box when purchased from Euro, the manufacturing marks on them are actually Automotive Lighting , the same brand as the factory halogen and single xenon headlights.
Unless you can get yours very cheap I'd be inclined to buy new ones!
I used a wiring adapter with the rear lights as I didn't want to cut my rear wiring in any way and the total cost was over £500 for everything, front and rear.
Not cheap, but at night my car now looks awesome, even if I do say it myself :sm4:.
At a much lower cost, I've replaced every single interior light bulb with a pure white LED equivalent and also retrofitted rear footwell lighting.
My car already had the complete ambient lighting package fitted as an option so luckily I didn't have much to do really in that department!
For less than £50 in total the interior at night has been transformed.
In terms of value for money, the LED rear lights and interior bulb changes are the best IMHO as they change the looks so dramatically.

I'm going to be doing pretty much the same very soon, thank you. Pretty hard to find the tail lights and the headlight prices are crazy here but I think its worth it :welcoming: Do you have the part numbers or anything for the headlights?

I'm going to be doing pretty much the same very soon, thank you. Pretty hard to find the tail lights and the headlight prices are crazy here but I think its worth it :welcoming: Do you have the part numbers or anything for the headlights?

I don't have the part numbers sorry, I had thought you were UK-based when I gave the prices but from the pictures of a LHD car I guess you're not!
I'd recommend that you do some research on here and learn to distinguish between the single xenon and bi-xenon headlights as there are a few subtle differences and you don't want to end up with the wrong units!
I've seen so much mis-described stuff on the likes of eBay etc you really need to know what the stuff you're after looks like!
I know when I bought my single xenons there were several sets of bi-xenons on eBay that had come from LHD cars and it was definitely a case of buyer beware, but if you are looking for xenons in Europe then I'd say the chances of coming across units from a RHD vehicle are remote.....so your search should in theory be easy...!