S3 8L brembo nightmare!!

73DDY

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My first call for help as a newbie!
So I've picked up a set of brembo callipers and discs...after fitting them on, started getting a horrible grinding sound. Took off the wheels and noticed the inside of the caliper grinding on the inside of the disc!?.
Need some help badly, car needs to go back on road as its my daily work commuter!

I'm dumb and new to Audi or the VAG scene so take it lightly on me lol.

Thanks a million in advance guys!
Teddy!

Pictures are below!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 501
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 452
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.7 KB · Views: 457
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 535
Brackets look odd to me but the pictures suggest the caliper is not centred and as the wear is inboard then you need to space the bracket away from the hub so use a couple of stainless steel washers to space it away to centre the caliper

<tuffty/>

Are these Leon Cupra R brembos? Mine were a direct fit, two bolts to bolt the Brembo carrier to the Hub, and a change on brake lines

Hi scotty24,

The brackets have 15mm shims, these are to push the caliper out to fit the larger discs 328mm.

Do you think they would fit the standard discs without issues? 312mm and remove the shims?

Thanks a lot pal!

Brackets look odd to me but the pictures suggest the caliper is not centred and as the wear is inboard then you need to space the bracket away from the hub so use a couple of stainless steel washers to space it away to centre the caliper

<tuffty/>

Are these Leon Cupra R brembos? Mine were a direct fit, two bolts to bolt the Brembo carrier to the Hub, and a change on brake lines

I don't think they are the cupra R brembo as the bleeding nipple isn't on the top of the caliper...maybe the brembo GT callipers? Maybe Bill Badger can shed some light of guidance for me. I've heard many great things about him over the VAG world....if you there please help!!! Lol

Thanks everyone

Just FYI, the caliper carriers on LCR and Brembo GT kit are the same, I've had both types! The carrier I can see in the pics doesn't look like a genuine carrier? The calipers are more the Brembo GT type, but can't confirm just looking at the pics.

Ah see ive got 323 mm Leon Cupra R disks.
however the diameter disk in your case doesnt matter, its the fact that the carrier isnt sitting the caliper in the right place

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, so would any brembo carrier for S3 8L fit? Meaning if I replaced the current carrier with ones that fit cupra brembos to the 8L?

Sorry to be a pain but still unfamiliar with the German tuning sides of things

Just FYI, the caliper carriers on LCR and Brembo GT kit are the same, I've had both types! The carrier I can see in the pics doesn't look like a genuine carrier? The calipers are more the Brembo GT type, but can't confirm just looking at the pics.

Hi,

I'm guessing just getting the right carriers should do the trick? Can you direct me to the right suppliers?

Really appreciate your help guys!

Ah see ive got 323 mm Leon Cupra R disks.
however the diameter disk in your case doesnt matter, its the fact that the carrier isnt sitting the caliper in the right place
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback, so would any brembo carrier for S3 8L fit? Meaning if I replaced the current carrier with ones that fit cupra brembos to the 8L?

Sorry to be a pain but still unfamiliar with the German tuning sides of things

Hi scotty24,

The brackets have 15mm shims, these are to push the caliper out to fit the larger discs 328mm.

Do you think they would fit the standard discs without issues? 312mm and remove the shims?

Thanks a lot pal!

I meant packing the bracket from the hub not the caliper... I had similar issues when I changed my rotors...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-69#post-2236147

There are images there showing where I used washers to help centre the caliper assembly

<tuffty/>

What thickness are the discs you're using?

Hi Superkarl,

They are 328mm X 28mm I think, I haven't been too sure as the complete setup was bought being told they would fit my S3 8L. The guy planned to use it on his Golf MK5 but didn't.

Thanks for helping!

There in may lye your problem, I don't believe the brakes for the mk5 golf are the same fitment as the S3, which is a mk4 chassis based car.

Reactions: 73DDY and snowy
There in may lye your problem, I don't believe the brakes for the mk5 golf are the same fitment as the S3, which is a mk4 chassis based car.
Hi
only the red brembos fit S3s :nogarors4: :scared2:

Hi, these were fully refurbed and painted blue... I thought that too about the MK5 brakes not fitting the S3 8L. Got excited and stupidly believed the guy..going to give a try with the washers as suggested by scotty24.

I do think the brackets may even be the problem, although everything bolted on nice and direct. It has the calliper slightly offset by 1-2mm hence calliper rubbing on the rotors.

The rotors are 328mm slightly bigger than the LCR 323mm.

Thanks!

I meant packing the bracket from the hub not the caliper... I had similar issues when I changed my rotors...

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/my-minor-modding-thread.76389/page-69#post-2236147

There are images there showing where I used washers to help centre the caliper assembly

<tuffty/>
Hi tuffty,

That's exactly what a friend and I were planning...we realised that the disc didn't seem centered to the calliper. We were thinking to place washers between the bracket and caliper on the inside to help it line up properly.

When the wheel is off the disc rotates without problems, but once the wheels on tight is begins