S3 8P Repairs Nightmare

Sam1987

Reaction score
Hi,

I have owned an S3 8P for some time now, and never had any issues, until recently.

Whilst driving my clutch broke (drag) and I had it replaced, since then changing from first to second has been very stiff.

My garage looked at it and told me the gearbox has now gone too, so I had it replaced!

but I still have the same issue, under hard acceleration from 1st to 2nd is very hard, every other gear is fine.

I also have noticed my cruise control is not working after gearbox change but am not sure if this is related??

any advice would be appreciated.

S

What clutch did you have the original replaced with?

Sachs Organic Stage 2 Clutch and Sachs SMF

More info on clutch setup. Is it smf or dmf and so on.
Gearbox code would help too. Also does it feel like it's stuck in 1st and you have to press the pedal few times to release it easier?

It is a single mass flywheel, I don't have the gearbox code to hand but can try and find out.

as for the feeling, it doesn't feel like its sticking at all gets out of first no problem, just have to 'force' it into second.

It is a single mass flywheel, I don't have the gearbox code to hand but can try and find out.

as for the feeling, it doesn't feel like its sticking at all gets out of first no problem, just have to 'force' it into second.

There's a few causes to think of.....firstly selector forks on the S3 gearbox and weak synchros are a known problem and unless these were replaced or a new(not used) box was put in,that can still be a cause.

Some replacement SMF clutch setups like the Loba,which is Sachs based,do present issues in engaging/disengaging.

Reactions: S.
The gearbox was a used one but its surely unlikely to be the same problem on both gearboxes?

Is that something on the LOBA/Sachs that can be resolved or just a quirk of that setup, it changes but its not easy, and I don't want to risk damaging it, but likewise I don't want to spend another huge sum of money replacing it!

The gearbox was a used one but its surely unlikely to be the same problem on both gearboxes?

Is that something on the LOBA/Sachs that can be resolved or just a quirk of that setup, it changes but its not easy, and I don't want to risk damaging it, but likewise I don't want to spend another huge sum of money replacing it!

It's unlikely,but one of the pitfalls of used gear is wear related issues.

Was it a Loba/Sachs clutch that you had installed?

Yeah it was a loba/sachs clutch installed.

its difficult as obviously don't want to pay for a removal and replacement of the clutch or gearbox, even though parts are covered will still cost a days labour.

It's loba/sachs setup that's causing the issue mate. It has to do something with vw gearbox design and not extending the input shaft and nitusing the pilot bearing. So there's a play in input shaft. Also the release bearing doesn't work the best.
I'm in the same boat as you mate as i have the same setup and similar issues. There are lots of my posts on that thread on vagoc.
02M boxes can be sorted with new shim and cover, and lots of people have solved the issue that way.
On a 02Q gearboxes shim and cover don't work as a solution (i've bought the parts and they don't fit 02Q boxes).
There's are few solutions but unfortunately we need to take the box off (i haven't try them but will have to).
1. Nothing leaves stock shims kit that fits behind release bearing and seems to cure most of the issues.
2. Extending the input shaft and using the pilot bearing.
3. Somekind of the bracket for the 4th gear that reduces movement.
As i said, i still have to try to fix the issues with my box so can't say 100% if it will fix them but this is info i gathered after lot of time spend on looking for a solution.

Reactions: HHS3, Sam1987 and S3Alex
Thanks for the replies, and its good to know that im not the only one!

I will have a look into the gearbox and fingers crossed its the 02M, so...it will almost certainly not be.

I guess the other question is whether or not it will cause any issues, or whether its just something I will have to put up with until I can replace/repair it completely.

Well i'm pretty sure it'not good for gearbox internals.
But i rarely use my car and i have changed my driving to make the gearbox happy until i decide to get the parts and take off the gearbox to fix the issue.
I'll probably go with nothing leaves stock shims, and extend input shaft with a pilot bearing and ispect the syncros and gears if they took the damage from the loba/sachs "performance clutch".