A3/S3 same driveshaft for both?

berisen

Reaction score
I think i have narrowed down my steering sound to faulty CV joints. Movie here:

It's appears that it's a lot cheaper/easier to change the whole driveshaft (used parts) including inner/outer joints instead of changing only them. A got a quote from a local shop and they wanted about 720 pounds for changing the outer joints on both sides. A bit pricy to me..:(

I have found a couple different shafts for around 150 punds/side and i might only need the left one. Anyway, i want to know if there really is the same parts for both A3 and S3? They all show up, is it all the same no matter what engine its equipped with?

When i search at the used car-part database i get a lot of hits when searching on my plate number but they all says they fit both cars. For example "Driveshaft - Audi A3, S3 -07"

This is one if the hits i get for example, does it look like it could fit a 8P S3 2008? :)

audi_a3,_s3_2008_drivaxel.jpg

There is also one shaft from the RS3, does it fit the S3? Looks like this.
audi_a3,_s3_2012_drivaxel.jpg

Last edited:
Inner CV joints usually rumble under heavy braking or putting on the gas. Its the outer CV joints that rumble, grind or click when on full steering lock. Are you running out of ideas to what the problem is?

Inner CV joints usually rumble under heavy braking or putting on the gas. Its the outer CV joints that rumble, grind or click when on full steering lock. Are you running out of ideas to what the problem is?
Thank you for the reply. I have no noise what so ever when breaking or putting on the gas. The sound that you hear in the movie above is when turning so with your description it has to be the outer joints.

Do you know if the driveshaft/joints are the same on a3/s3? There a lot more used parts for a3 available so it would be handy if that was the case.

No, I don't know for sure if they are the same but it wouldn't surprise me if they are. If it were myself, I would be visiting my Audi dealer parts dept. and they would look up both models of cars and compare part numbers. Goods guys at Audi Rayleigh.

ps.. ask our own parts guy Mike @mjr901 on Parts Request.

I'd try and find out from here if the S3 is the same as the A3;

http://etka.cc/audi

Just ensure that Europe is highlighted then click on the model & model year of your car then the relevant section, driveshafts appear under Front Axle.
For the driveshafts it looks like you need to know the engine code as there are a lot of possible permutations.

Thanks all for the help. I'll try to contact mjr901 and see if he might know what parts to look for and which to avoid etc. it's a jungle with all the engine codes etc but from what I can tell it looks like it's the same drive shafts on all models.