DIY remapping??

SirToad

Reaction score
Just bought the S3 (2002) and thinking of remapping the ECU. Anyone ever tried remapping their audi S3 using the flashing kit etc you can buy from ebay? is it worth it?

what about for someone who knows how to map? Are there any DIY kits out there?

pablo said:
what about for someone who knows how to map? Are there any DIY kits out there?

someone that new what was involved in mapping an ECU would know what kit they'd need ;)

Tallpaul said:
someone that new what was involved in mapping an ECU would know what kit they'd need ;)

Could be wrong...

An IPRO flash unit connected to a good database of maps, which can then be tweak to suit the specific car's fueling and requirements. That's the way a lot of companies are doing their 'custom' maps. Basicall you plug the unit into the car, send the data to the main database, they assess it and return a suitable map, that can then be modified to suit.

Here's basically how O.CT (Star Performance, etc) do it.

[URL="http://www.icsperformance.com/diagram-US1A.gif"][URL="http://www.icsperformance.com/diagram-US1A.gif"][/URL][/URL]

sorry, i assumed we were talking about writing tables of data. not flashing a pre written program.

Tallpaul said:
sorry, i assumed we were talking about writing tables of data. not flashing a pre written program.

Lol, and I totally misread your post. The bird was chatting to me while I was doing my Audi stuff, heh heh

Tallpaul said:

not necessarily. Ive a mate who maps evos/skylines etc and is looking for something to do VAGs but there is a lot of choice out there.

pablo said:
not necessarily. Ive a mate who maps evos/skylines etc and is looking for something to do VAGs but there is a lot of choice out there.

Depends then what sort of tuner he wants to be. There is the eBay route of code with unkown sources or you'd be looking somewhere like O.CT or Dimsport for maps with genuine product support. Tools for simply uploading these maps to the ECU are readily available. Genuine software to then alter/adapt/optimise the maps is expensive and limited - Winols from EVC is one example.

Doing all of this as a pukka business isn't cheap, then again if he wants to be one man and his laptop i'm sure you can use other means of obtaining maps and the relevant software. Hell, with all of that he'll be selling 'Custom' remaps by the end of the week :)

whos had the experience of having their S3 remapped then - tell me all the grimey details!