S3- clutch delay valve

Gugne

Reaction score
I've ordered an S3 for November when my Golf R goes back.
The Golf had a clutch delay valve which was a small plastic in-line washer that slowed the passage of the clutch fluid and therefore the bite of the clutch.
It was a simple job to disconnect the valve, remove the plastic washer and then get a normal feeling clutch.
Do the R and the S3 share the same clutch etc? Has anyone done this on their S3?

I can confirm that the S3 has some kind of delay on the clutch, I only really notice it when i am driving in a spirited fashion, In all the cars i have ever owned i could just change gear as fast as i could make my hands and feet go, in the S3 there is no point, as I'll often gone through the process of changing gear and be back on the accelerator only to feel the car biting again for a fraction of a second.

Can't say I've noticed anything like that in mine.

...so do the R and S3 share the same clutch etc?

Wow... never expected to be reading about CDV's on an Audi forum... BMW yes definitely, know exactly what they are about. Hope its not noticeably intrusive.

We don't even know if it's there yet. It seems it was on the previous S3 but I have nothing to confirm it's on the 8V.
I was assuming the Golf R and S3 shared the same engine/gearbox/clutch etc. but I have no idea if this is right.

I have been reliably informed that the S3 has the same CDV as the R and the mod can be carried out. Just have to wait and see how noticeable the delay is on the S3.

I have been reliably informed that the S3 has the same CDV as the R and the mod can be carried out. Just have to wait and see how noticeable the delay is on the S3.

Any idea what the reasoning is behind the fitment of such a device?

If it's to protect the clutch, DMF or power train, then removal of this device would automatically render the warranty on these items null and void.

If it's anything like BMW did with the E46 it was to smooth out the clutch actuation, not for drivetrain protection, but to make the drive smoother by cancelling out the actions of less than smooth drivers.

Some people use their pedals in a digital on/off manner and should be relegated to public transport only :p

Reactions: Gordo77
Quite!

Even so, I've not noticed anything untoward in the clutch in my loan S3, it works just fine. So unless people are only seeing this issue when they're side stepping the clutch and launching with extreme brutality, I don't see the point. It's fine as it is.

Reactions: Gordo77
Any idea what the reasoning is behind the fitment of such a device?

If it's to protect the clutch, DMF or power train, then removal of this device would automatically render the warranty on these items null and void.
I believe it's to help smooth out gear changes. It is a small in-line plastic washer which restricts the fluid flow and therefore slows the clutch action. It's removal is not noticeable unless you remove the CDV and strip it down.

The problem with it is that if you change gear quickly (and I don't mean harshly- like side stepping the clutch) the clutch doesn't engage quickly enough and you get a moment of non engagement then gradual engagement which gives you a bunny hop- the thing it was meant to prevent in normal driving. Also reversing up a slope slowly out of a driveway say, and the clutch doesn't do what you're telling it to so no matter how carefully/accurately you do it, you end up with a horrible burnt clutch smell- as if a learner was revving the car and slipping the clutch.
The removal of the washer solved both problems on the R.
I can't see it mentioned on any searches I've made so either Audi have set it up differently and the S3 doesn't have this problem or all S3 drivers haven't a clue.

<stands back and watches the forum explode with rage>