140 OR 170PS !!!!!!!!!!!

JO AND STE

Reaction score
hi all,

Well, was just wondering if anyone knows how to tell the difference, with the a3 s-line sportback 2.0 tdi 140 or 170ps:uhm: ?

cheers

By looking at the engine code on the sticker in the spare wheel well or in the serice book. The engine code for the my 140 is BKD. Perhaps someone with a 170 could have a look and let us know what the engine code is for the 170.

yeh the easiest way is the chrome exhausts like a petrol (surprised audi didn't choose to differentiate between these on the badge - much like they did with the original TDIs where the more powerful versions had red 'i')

Another way to tell is the oil filler on engine is in a differnt place for some reason on the 140 it is near the middle on the 170 it is to the left and there is some extra plastic mouldings to the front of the engine

If someone can tell me how to decode the engine number from the service book I can help.
Under Model Designation I have 8P1 BZX

Under Engine Output / Designation I have A3 TDI 2.0 R4
125KW DPFDSG

Phil

If you click the link below you will see the car details sticker from my current A3-140. As you say yours has the power output of 125KW whereas mine has 103KW. Also the engine type is shown for my car as BKD - what is the code in the same place for yours? The code below the engine is the paint code on the left and the interior code on the right

The rest of the codes in smaller letters below indicate the options fitted to your vehicle.

A3-2004-car details.pdf

Well thanks for all your help guys, my exhausts are shiny and straight, and my oil filler is on the left hand side, and the sticker says 125kw, and the Engine code is BMN.....Guess it's defo a 170 then!

cheers
jo

One thing I did notice in the 170 S-line demonstrator I drove is that the engine cover was black rather than the silver on my 140. Is this because it was a 170? (i.e. 170=black,140=silver) or was it because it was an s-line?

my engine cover's black and it's a sport.

Which tends to support the theory that the black engine cover is for the 170 only.

No the black engine cover is not for the 170 only - the fact is audi have stopped making the silver ones - you can no longer get them as a spare part. How do i know this? Well after some mechanic used my engine cover as somewhere to put his tools and scratched it all - i demanded a new one - and when i got the car back it was a black one not silver - so you will find new 140's now have black engine covers too.

Interesting, how long ago was this?

Reason being, I got a shiny new engine cover a month or so back when I had the cylinder head replaced on my 140 and guess what - it's silver.