Changing the battery on a 2001 Audi A4 1.9 TDi

Neil_S

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post to let everybody know that I did this job today in about 20 minutes and it was a piece of cake.

The main problem is the retaining hex bolt which holds the battery in place, it's a ****** to get to, but with careful use of an alan key I unscrewed it and released the battery.

Just a case of removing the trim above the battery and then deattaching negative first and positive second.

Then reassemble in reverse order.

It's a bit of a bitch getting the battery out on your own because of it's weight and position, so a second person is useful here.

Strangely I didn't have to input any radio code when I attached the new battery. The ABS light was illuminated for the first few miles and that has now gone out and everything is fine.

Better than paying Audi £183 for the job anyway.

the car recognises the radio,you only need to put a code in if you put it in another vehicle.:o.k:

Any chance you could go into a bit more detail as i cannot see this hex bolt. u see im a bit of a shorty ( 5ft 6 )and find it very hard to see into this very confined space. thanx in advance

Phill, it is a very confined space, the hex bolt is in front of the battery, try looking from the passenger side down at the battery, you should see the bolt in the middle, at the very front of the battery.

I used an allan key to unbolt it.