Snow/winter tires S3 2008, 17"?

berisen

Reaction score
I know it's not really the time to talk about snow already but i just want to be prepared when it arrives a couple of months :sly:

I'm trying to find some information about the required specs for 17" inch wheels on the S3. What specifications is going to work and fit?

I found this combination on a wheel-site here in Sweden. They say its going to fit just fine but i just wanted to double-check it since i imagine it's going to be quite a tight fit with the discs?

17" would be lovely since 18" with studded tires is a bit pricy. :sorry:

Rims:
DEZENT TD DARK 7X17 5/112 ET42 B57.1
Tires:
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 225/45R17

This combination is around 1000 pounds fitted and ready.

What do you guys use when winter is coming?

I just bought genuine Audi 17" alloys (OE part 8K0 071 497 A, cheap coz they were on a demo car) and I'm going to buy Nokian WR D4 225/45 R17 94H.

Audi alloys 7X17 5/112 ET46 B66.5 (need a set of spigot rings, so add £7) were £325 + £30 shipping.
Nokian WR D4 were going to cost me £372 if I bought them at tyreleader today (the price can change)
I'll get them fitted and ready for £47.

So, it's gonna be below £800.

Imho snow/winter tyres are a complete waste of money here in the UK.

If you just drive appropriately for the conditions here & use common sense then I have never found it an issue. ;)

Reactions: Jake 61, Gazwould and S.
Up here its required by law to have winter tires from first of december to the last of march so not really that much choice unfortunately ;) And it's normally a lot of snow around here so its kind of necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: S.
Up here its required by law to have winter tires from first of december to the last of march so not really that much choice unfortunately ;) And it's normally a lot of snow around here so its kind of necessary.

Oh I totally get that and perfectly understandable in Sweden. ;)

You did ask though; "What do you guys use when winter is coming?"

Common sense is what I use. :D

I have a set of Audi winters with 225/45/17 Nokian WR D3s. Used them 3 winters and still tons left. Fantastic tyres on my S3! Dragged me up a very snowy hill road with ease.

Reactions: berisen
Oh I totally get that and perfectly understandable in Sweden. ;)

You did ask though; "What do you guys use when winter is coming?"

Common sense is what I use. :D
Yeah sorry, didn't mean to sound like an ***. :)

It's fun to know what kind of setups other people use. I was curious to see if 17 inch could fit but it doesn't seem to be an issue :)

Reactions: GMballistic
Yeah sorry, didn't mean to sound like an ***. :)

It's fun to know what kind of setups other people use. I was curious to see if 17 inch could fit but it doesn't seem to be an issue :)

Don't worry you didn't sound like an *** at all. ;)

I know it's a different ballgame in a country where you have some serious snow. I do use winter tyres, in snow and ice they do make a lot of difference to the control you have of the car.
TBH last year we had 1 day of snow and that had gone within a few hours. I use Nokian WR D3 tyres and find them very good.
Tyreleader do some good quality wheels for reasonable prices. They are shipped from Germany and all are TUV approved quality wheels.
Quick look using the sizes you quoted.
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/rial/milano-70/7x17-et40-5x112-57.1-466512
I presume you drive on a lot of ice if you are opting for studded tyres . Never used them myself but I presume that they wouldn't be very good on normal road surfaces
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/vredestein/arctrac/225-45-r17-94t-497982
https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/hakkapeliitta-8/225-45-r17-94t-80839

I know, from when I was working in Norway, they used to fit studded tyres and they had to be off the car by April, or the fines were quite heavy.
is it the same in Sweden...?

I don't think that until you've driven a vehicle with winter tyres you can fully appreciate the incredible difference that they make.
I first bought a set of winter tyres in about 2009 for my A4 and will never forget the first time they were put to use, I'd struggled the previous winter getting up a 6 inch incline over a dropped kerb onto my driveway with a little bit of snow despite 4 new (summer) Bridgestones being on the car....
There'd been several inches of snow and I was driving down a street in a local town following a Skoda Octavia taxi, we were travelling at about 10mph as that was all the Skoda could manage.
It was literally brand-new and all I can remember is that he was constantly bumping into the nearside kerb, he had zero control!
I felt rather unsafe to even be behind him and was very relieved when he pulled over, with my new winter tyres on it felt as if there was no snow, no lack of grip and total control.
Ever since then I've had a set of spare alloys with winter tyres stored in the garage ready for use, they didn't even get put on the car last winter as it was so mild, so I accept that they aren't vital in our southern UK climate.
On the few occasions we've had heavy snow since then I've been the only person to be able to come and go from home at will in my street without a 4WD vehicle or loads of snow shoveling and gritting.
They do make a MASSIVE difference though on the rare occasions they're needed and I'm happy to pay for the peace of mind that brings.

I know, from when I was working in Norway, they used to fit studded tyres and they had to be off the car by April, or the fines were quite heavy.
is it the same in Sweden...?
Yes same thing here so its best to use them to avoid the fines.

Reactions: Jake 61