Replacing Bushes on an S3

20valver

Reaction score
Almost got all of my parts togrther now to sort the suspension out on my S3.

I've got the ARB's, Billy, Eibachs Springs and Forge Arms. I want this to be a job I do once whil owning the car so want to do all bushes as well.

The car's on 48K, so what bushes shoud I be looking at and what's it going to cost me?

I was thinking F/R wishbone and Dogbone. Any else I should consider?

Oh and I'll be sticking to OE as the roads near me are bad and need some compliance.

Thanks in advance! Andy

I did oth the front wishbone bushes, strut top bushes and bearings, the rear beam bushes, the dog bone and the steering rack bushes @90k miles.
I would go for uprated if yours have worn out in 48k.
You will need a press for the wishbone bushes as they are tight.

S2Avant said:
I did oth the front wishbone bushes, strut top bushes and bearings, the rear beam bushes, the dog bone and the steering rack bushes @90k miles.
I would go for uprated if yours have worn out in 48k.
You will need a press for the wishbone bushes as they are tight.

Just been trying to decide on this one myself. I've got a clunk on the front left corner when it's on left hand lock and the wishbone rear bush looks split. If I'm going to do bushes I may as well do them all but didn't know if I should get standard or powerflex, opinions would be greatfully accepted

How straightforward is it to do these changes? What sort of equipment are you looking at to do the changes you've mentioned?

jesters3 said:
How straightforward is it to do these changes? What sort of equipment are you looking at to do the changes you've mentioned?
Most bushes need a press to push out the old ones and get in the new ones. Then you need to be able to do the 4 wheel alignment once everything's back together, hardly a job for at home. I have no problem with any of that as I used to work for a local rally team on the works group N Evos, all I'm looking for is info on what an S3 with poly bushes is like for everyday use? Will I regret the harsh ride? :racer: :scared2:

Defratos,

On one of your pics, the rear wishbone i think, it looks like they have been greased with some copper coloured stuff....

My understanding was that bushes, due to the fact the work in the most extreme environment are self lubricating and that adding extra grease can damage them ?? Am i talking rubbish or is the copper stuff some special stuff powerflex recommend?

Any ideas ?

Not sure about the whol idea of them getting damaged from the grease, but when I got them from Awesome, each bush set had a small grease pack to go with it, so I guess they come with grease to be applied. What I am not sure of though is if they used the same grease as was supplied (I never looked at the grease in the packs so I'm not sure what colour they were). Hope this had made sense.

Defratos said:
I've just done mine recently and the ride isn't harsh at all (IMO) some people on here have complained but I think it's feels great and makes the car feel very tight. check out my earlier post:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27612&highlight=Bushes
Thanks for that Defratos, that's all I need, someone to say it's OK to drive and I'll be putting my hand in my pocket and shelling out again. Hope the kids don't ask for anything big for Christmas.:sos:

Thanks for the advice.

Not sure what to go for now, I've been in a mates Golf 4motion with powerflex and that seemed a little harsh although he was running coilovers.

I'm thinking with the Billy's and hopefully some H&R's the bushes shouldn;t be much of an issue, but I'm sure would last a bit better.

Hmmm decisions...