Engine mount bracket removal?? Cambelt side

Eddy16v

Reaction score
So it turns out one of the bolts has snapped that holds my engine mount bracket to the actual engine, causing a huge amount of issues. Ive managed to get the engine mount out of the way but the 1 bolt i need to take out is blocked by the chassis leg.

Has anyone managed to remove this bracket without taking the engine out? I need to know whether it is possible lol

Cheers

HI Eddy ,
Have a look at 'Diesel Geek' engine mount fix , maybe of help to you ,

Cheers Ant

This happened to me. If you're lucky these bolts won't be seized in... Depending on which bolt has snapped off, you should be able to gain access by jacking the engine up.

Which bolt has snapped? and is there any damage to the block?.. Often the lug round the back of the block, where the rear bolt goes in, snaps off...........

And yes it is possible to remove/refit the engine mount without taking the engine out... You need to to do the cambelt!

It's a ****** pain in the *** though, and has been covered a lot recently... I find the best way is to jack the engine up (be careful not to brake anything!), wobble the engine back/forward and shimmy the bracket round to the back of the engine.

This happened to me. If you're lucky these bolts won't be seized in... Depending on which bolt has snapped off, you should be able to gain access by jacking the engine up.

Which bolt has snapped? and is there any damage to the block?.. Often the lug round the back of the block, where the rear bolt goes in, snaps off...........
Thanks for the reply, the bolt that has snapped is the one directly under the engine mount. Im not sure if its damaged the block as i need to get the bracket off to see. Where are the other bolts located?

Thanks for the reply, the bolt that has snapped is the one directly under the engine mount. Im not sure if its damaged the block as i need to get the bracket off to see. Where are the other bolts located?

Talking about the 3 bolts that go through the mount horizontally into the side of the block - there's 2 at the top (front and back), and one in the middle at the bottom....

Where the block usually breaks is at the top back, like in the picture here:
http://www.dieselgeek.com/v/images/IMG_0587.jpg

If it has, let me know... I have a diesel geek fix kit here to sell

How have you noticed it's snapped out of interest?...

Mine ran fine still, just an odd noise which was the cambelt now rubbing on something... I drove another 50 meters or so and stopped to see what the damage was. When I went to start again it had somehow lost timing and I ended up bending 4 inlet valves. . . . So be careful what ever you do from here!