Awful noise from front right brake disc!!!!

bikefright

Reaction score
Hi Forum,

Went out Saturday afternoon and got about 500 yds - used the brakes a couple of times before the end of the 500 yds - but then all hell broke loose....surely that horrible "gauntlet down a chalkboard" couldn't be MY car....but it was :-(

I gingerly limped home and parked up.........after a lot of rolling back and forth with the windows down, I concluded it must be the wear strip in one of the rear brake pads. I had one of theose eureka moments when I remembered one of the advisories on the last MOT, which was that the rear brake pads were quite low. I duly went out and bought the rear pads and blew the dust off the calliper tool box.

Thought I'd attempt the job this afternoon.

Turns out the noise isn't coming from the rear at all, it's as the title of the post suggests, off-side front.

The front pads and discs were replaced December/January gone and the outer pad is still quite thick - this was worrying in itself!

I spent 2 hrs trying to get the front wheel off with all the usual gentle persuaders (rubber mallet, length of 2"x2", both feet) and nearly knocked the car off the jack and axle stand!

I managed to separate the wheel from the stub axle enough to allow the disc to rotate behind and lo and behold, there was that awful noise. it's almost like that metal cover plate is screeching against the disc rotor, but I guess it isn't.

I gave up and everything is now back together :-(

I have three questions.

Firstly, if it's the inner pad, knowing that the outer pad is still quite thick, why would the inner one wear out so quick? Also, I'm sure it's the inner pad that has the electrical connection and wear strip embedded - why no lights on the dashboard?

Secondly, if it's not the inner pad, what the ****** hell is it???

Lastly, without damaging my wheel or cracking the disc rotor or suspension, how on earth can I get the wheel off the stub axle?? Grrrrrr!!

TIA,

Rowland.

I had a similar experience with my previous A4, I was coming home from work one evening and it was pi$$ing it down, I drove through a short section of road where the services couldn't handle the surface water so a big lake had formed :) When I came out the far side there was this horable screaching/tearing noise, It was like the brake pad had come away and there was metal to metal contact! Anyway got home, jacked it up, got the wheel off and everything looked 100% normal, loads of meet on the pads, then after about and hour of looking and scratching the head I noticed a stone had lodged behind the brake disk and the protection plate/guard so I levered it out with and screwdriver and BINGO! noise gone. It was amazing how something so small could cause such a loud noise. It obviously lodge behing the disk when I went through the puddle. Might be worth a look! Also I had a problem getting one of my 17" replica S3's of my A3 so what I did was left 3 studs on the wheel, they were barely hand tight and drove the car forward then in reverse over a length of about 6-8 feet and this broke the seal thet was holding it to the hub. Sorry for the long winded version!

Thanks FrankG,

In my desperation I managed to get in touch with my friendly Audi Technician and he has suggested exactly the same thing....stone in between the guard and the disc. I'm going to have another crack at it this afternoon and will definately give your method of getting that wheel off a try! Aluminium and steel don't go together very well, especially given a bit of water and some salt during the winter months = recipe for seizing.

When I eventually get it off, maybe I should smear some graphite dust or copper grease (Aaargh! grease near brake parts!!!) so that next time - and there WILL be a next time - it won't be so damned difficult and time consuming to get the ****** thing off.

Update:

Huzah! Out fell a small stone with one shiny flat side........No more noise :)

Decided to do the rear pads anyway - copper grease on the stub axles so the wheels came off with ease - thank heavens!

I draw a thick black line under this little episode. Lesson learnt.