Steering rack

Connor121

Reaction score
hi there folks just wondering if a 2007 steering rack will fit my 2009 Audi s3 8p?

Hi.
Just check new rack's part number, if it begins with 1K0, it will fit. Now it depends what you have on your car, if your rack begins the same then no problem at all, if it's 1K1 then you need new wiring loom to fit.
3gen racks (1K0) was as an upgrade to older generations, and could be fit to A3s from early 2003 :) So you always need to check PN and not the year of car it was from.

Reactions: kash_v
Excellent thank you very much for your help very much appreciated

Hi.
Just check new rack's part number, if it begins with 1K0, it will fit. Now it depends what you have on your car, if your rack begins the same then no problem at all, if it's 1K1 then you need new wiring loom to fit.
3gen racks (1K0) was as an upgrade to older generations, and could be fit to A3s from early 2003 :) So you always need to check PN and not the year of car it was from.

Hi mate, currently have a gen 2 rack - If i replace with another gen 2 will it need coding? Speaking to the recon people, they said yes....But I cant believe that as alot of people fit used items from scraped cars?

Hi mate, currently have a gen 2 rack - If i replace with another gen 2 will it need coding? Speaking to the recon people, they said yes....But I cant believe that as alot of people fit used items from scraped cars?
Usually you can swap to another 2gen and it will work (after few self calibrations). The thing is it could be set improperly for your car :) Like assistance characteristic curve, DSR etc. You won't get any lights on your dash but the working order, feeling, could be different from what it was before or at least what manufacturer wants it to be e.g. too much or not enough assistance.
There is not much you can/should code in 2gen :) But still coding could differ from car to car, so try to get your new rack from the same car model, otherwise be prepared to find bro with at least VCDS equipment :)

Reactions: kash_v
Thanks Keram! May drop you a pm soon.

Reactions: Keram