Gearbox and Bevel box oil change

Reaction score
Hi ASN guru's

After a good inspection of my car last week I found that the fill port to the gearbox was open exposing it to contaminants and water. I have a rubber bung instead of a metal filler plug on my 2001 AMK (
is this normal?). The rubber had shrunk and so it came loose and migrated elsewhere on the gearbox housing

So with that in mind I would feel a lot more comfortable changing the gearbox and bevel box oil. I;ve researched on here but not found any definitive answer as to what oils to use and where the bevel box drain point is located. After getting a quote from Audi for 22 quid a litre, and requiring 3L I'd prefer to go with an alternative as close to OEM viscosity's as possible.

Can anyone provide an answer on this please? And also I've read you can change the rear diff oil as well, again where is the fill/drain point for this and what oils should I use.

Thanks in advance.

Should be a 17m hex/ alan key bolt there pal..transferbox has the same on the side at the bottom. There is a magnetic plug on the trannybox 1 that will need cleaning off I change mine every year now..I usally get my oil from dealers to

Sorry 14mm or 17 am sure sum1will confirm I have done that much work on it lol

You will need 3 litres. Stick with OE oil, unless you really want to change then I believe Redline do some decent gearbox oil but I'm unsure which type. You need to make sure its the correct type, compatible with the softer metals that the syncro's are made of. OE really is the safest bet IMO. You'll get it at around £17 - 18 per litre from TPS etc.

Drain plug for the bevel box is pretty obvious once you are down there and looking at it. Its the bolt on the lowest point on the transfer box which is behind the gearbox.

You will need a special spline socket to get the gearbox drain/fill plugs out. Make sure you can get the fill plug out BEFORE you drain all the oil out of the bottom plug!

Once drained, fill up the gearbox until it runs out of the fill hole. Drive the car gently for a couple of miles, then stop and do a final top up.

You will need 3 litres. Stick with OE oil, unless you really want to change then I believe Redline do some decent gearbox oil but I'm unsure which type. You need to make sure its the correct type, compatible with the softer metals that the syncro's are made of. OE really is the safest bet IMO. You'll get it at around £17 - 18 per litre from TPS etc.

Drain plug for the bevel box is pretty obvious once you are down there and looking at it. Its the bolt on the lowest point on the transfer box which is behind the gearbox.

You will need a special spline socket to get the gearbox drain/fill plugs out. Make sure you can get the fill plug out BEFORE you drain all the oil out of the bottom plug!

Once drained, fill up the gearbox until it runs out of the fill hole. Drive the car gently for a couple of miles, then stop and do a final top up.

Cheers for the advice. I thought all the drain points were standard hex bolts. I'll stick the car on the ramps and check it out. I may have to go OEM in the end then as I can't guarantee which oil will be correct without knowing the right grade. I hate paying stealer prices sometimes.

without wanting to sound too much like an ****, are you sure you are looking at the gearbox fill plug? rubber bung sound like the inspection hole to check for TDC on the flywheel, I would have thought if the fill plug was missing most of the gearbox oil would be lubricating the outside of the gearbox
just a thought

Reactions: RS3 ROCKS
Yeah newbster is right the rubber plug is the inspection hole for TDC on the fly wheel. And the transmission oil is 75/90 same for the difs front and rear. The drain and fill plugs are pretty obvious once the car is on the lift.

Reactions: RS3 ROCKS
Having spoke to Audi today they confirmed the rubber bung is for the timing set up. I'll look at identifying the correct fill plug on the housing tomorrow. I take it that it's a side fill to spill fill point that you can view from underneath the car then, likely to be in the vicinity of the drain plug?

http://public.fotki.com/mcphill/audi_stuff/maintenance_items/transmission_oil/01_transmission.html

Found this after a little more hunting around. It's a detailed photo guide for anyone else considering doing the Diff oil's. What he doesn't do though is put the fill plug back on and either take it for a 2 min drive or alternatively raise the car and engage in low gear for 2 mins. This allows fluid to transfer back into the bevel box. Following this you should then re-check the level and re-fill accordingly.