Could hot oil cause oil light + fault 16396?

VAG-Slag

Reaction score
Berkshire, Surry, Hampshire tri-intersect
I was having a bit of a play with a GTR the other day - Needless to say, even with almost 300 ponies in a stripped out A3 I was trying ****** hard!

Moments after the run I was entering a village (30mph), so wacked it into neutral and coasted in. At the same time the the oil light flashed up on the DIS (three beeps I recall), looked at oil pressure gauge and it was pretty low. So I put it in gear to bring the revs up and there was still ok pressure there.

I flicked over the liquid gauge to check oil temp and it was at 130 degrees. Pretty high I know, but I was always under the impression oil should be ok up until about 140? (For the record I'm running shell helix ultra 5w40)

I was also always under the impression that the DIS oil light only came on when there was literally zero oil pressure, rather than just low? And I assume 16396 could be cause by lack of pressure in the tensioner?

The engine is practically a fresh build and has only done 1k or so. When doing the build I used a new pick up pipe with the old pump, but even that was new in 2009.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

And before anyone says - Yes, I have an oil cooler I'm waiting to fit as well as a 82 degree stat!

So just went out for a little drive - According to my ebay oil pressure gauge I'm getting about 7 bar on start up (oil 18 degrees), just about 1 bar on hot idle and around 4 bar at 3k when hot. Which sounds about right, no? Perhaps a little low on hot idle...

This time though found a new shape clio sport thing to have a play with, didn't stand a chance in a straight line but f*** me do they corner!?.. Anyway, checked faults after and 16396 is back once again like a renegade master...

I'm not having a dig at you here, but surely after spending thousands on an engine rebuild it would have made sense to put a new oil pump on her, you say it was changed in 2009, but that's ages ago your pump could be worn by now.

I've got Croft booked on 24 June and I've just bought this to try and keep temps down, they were rocketing on the Nurburgring even on Map3, I've also got 82 Stat and WMI.

Attachments

• upload_2016-6-1_16-17-15.png
    upload_2016-6-1_16-17-15.png
    373.5 KB · Views: 146
Have the same problem! Just fitted an external oil gauge and get 2bar at idle on normal driving, and up to 4 bar on rising rpm but, after a hard 1-2-3-4 oil pressure drops to 2bar and doesn't rise, however if I turn the motor off and then back on oil pressure comes back to near normal
(Pressure relief valve in pump?..)
Strainer was cleaned about 9months ago any input appreciated cheers

Sorry chaps, been away and only recently got back to the "real world" of internet and that...

That a fault code?

so it would seem, im going for faulty VVT
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16396/P0012/000018

True that, I did see that... I was wondering if the hot oil was too thin for the VVT to function properly rather than the VVT actually being dead though?

I'm not having a dig at you here, but surely after spending thousands on an engine rebuild it would have made sense to put a new oil pump on her, you say it was changed in 2009, but that's ages ago your pump could be worn by now.

If it aint broke?.... My precaution was to fit an oil pressure gauge though, which is obviously proving handy now!

too hot oil
fit the cooling mods dude.... c'mon..

Forgive me Bill, for I have failed you! . . I will take my own life immediately (or fit the stuff on the weekend perhaps?)

Have the same problem! Just fitted an external oil gauge and get 2bar at idle on normal driving, and up to 4 bar on rising rpm but, after a hard 1-2-3-4 oil pressure drops to 2bar and doesn't rise, however if I turn the motor off and then back on oil pressure comes back to near normal
(Pressure relief valve in pump?..)
Strainer was cleaned about 9months ago any input appreciated cheers

would be handy to know what oil temp's doing on yours... You can log oil temps in VAG-com if you have no other means of measuring

would be handy to know what oil temp's doing on yours... You can log oil temps in VAG-com if you have no other means of measuring
Maybe oil temps I suppose, I may just fit a new oil pump and check strainer just seems weird if I switch it off for a few seconds and back on its almost normal!..

Maybe oil temps I suppose, I may just fit a new oil pump and check strainer just seems weird if I switch it off for a few seconds and back on its almost normal!..

Yea, that is odd... It's almost as if there is something blocking the strainer that falls out when you shut down.

How much sealant did you use when putting the sump back on?

I see what you're theory is but I also wonder if there is a pressure relief spring that is getting weak when hot
Badger 5 Bill any thoughts on this scenario?..

Just an update on this - Been for the first proper drive since fitting oil cooler and 82 degree stat, and so far 16396 has not returned... Which suggests it was the oil getting too hot to allow the VVT to function properly!

It's early days yet but I'll monitor the situation and update if anything changes, for the moment though looks like it could be problem solved!

Reactions: scotty_24