Dead spot below 1500 rpm

TonyMoneo

Reaction score
Hello my fellow tractor drivers

I have an issue with my B7 2.0 TDI. In South Africa the Le Mans was a special edition of the 2.0 TDI engines (125 kW/170 PD) with the BRD engine code. After receiving a low pressure warning, the car went into limp and I had to tow it in to a service center. Turns out the shaft of the oil pump got worn out and we had to replace the oil pump. As a result of the oil pump failure, the turbo also got damaged beyond repair. It was replaced with the OEM Borg Warner turbo.

After replacing the oil pump and turbo, there is a "dead spot" at low rpm. When the engine is cold, it takes roughly a minute before you can rev it beyond 1200 rpm. When the engine is warmed up, it still takes a couple of seconds for the rev counter to rise - and this is at zero load. Try to engage the clutch anything below 2000 rpm and you will stall.

We had the following checked in an attempt to find the culprit for the dead spot:

*Overhaul the fuel pump
*Check pulley allignment
*Replace N75 solenoid
*Thoroughly test the injectors
*Replace the boost pressure sensor
*Check for vacuum leaks
*VNT actuator is brand new so the turbo spools at low rpm
*DPF was removed and deleted via ECU remap
*EGR was blanked off and deleted via ECU remap
*Check throttle valve response on VCDS

When the boost pressure sensor is removed completely, the low end power seems to be fine (but you get a significant amount of overfueling).

This is as far as my fault-finding ability goes. Any one with similar experiences or advise will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Are you sure there was no other mechanical damage to the engine. Without oil there could have been pick up in the bearings both main and big ends. This will make the engine tight especially when it's cold. Does the engine crank at a good speed on the starter motor or is it slow ?.

Thanks for the reply desertstorm. Even when it's cold I don't have an issue starting the engine, but building up revs is quite tricky. We have double checked the bearings, they are fine. I can't guarantee that no other mechanical damage occurred, we checked a few things but might have missed something