Anyone tried OCT FMIC?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey guys, just looking at IC, just wondering if anyone has one? or if you've heard anything about them. The IC looks huge, but it means taking out the crash bar and not having it installed again. Now do any of you see that as a big problem? "no crash bar"? or would you feel fine driving it like that?

OCTIC.jpg

http://www.oct-tuning.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=34&language=en

if thats a picture of the actual kit, it looks interesting...

firstly it contains actual mounting points, when i thought there was nowhere to bolt a FMIC in an S3

Secondly it contains crash bar brackets? Whats the point in them is the crash bar was permanently removed? Maybe as a mounting bracket for the FMIC?

As for not replacing the FMIC, I'd be uncomfortable with that, and probably so would my insurer.

I looked at this then fell down when I saw the price (well over €1,000)...

I think it's great however the crash bar removal is a bit worrying, at least with the Forge kit you keep the crash bar all be it modified.

I'm not sure about s3,but i managed to fit this large fmic to my quattro(see gallery pics),it did require a lot of trimming to the inside of the bumper and the composite front panel,but crash bar is still fitted.It was custom made for me through a mate and it was fabricated in a motorsport place in hereford,i forget the name but can find out.The design and workmanship was excellent and we fully built it and fitted it in a day.Temps have dropped massively and even on really hot days they are low.Cheers Andy

Hope you don't mind me posting pics of your IC Andy, but it looks very funky. So was it all custom made? and how were they able to run the pipe work up through the middle of the bonnet? How thick is the IC?

i-andysfmic2.jpg

i-andysfmic.jpg

P.S. Whats the "Rad"? Do you mean rediator? if so how did you manage to move it an inch back? and do you remember how much it roughly cost you?

im pretty sure the OCT one means you completely loose the crash bar shown on the floor in the pic above.

NOT a good idea if this is the case.

I dont even like the idea of the Forge machined out one.

I don't have too much faith in the front crash bar TBH. it's only a piece of soft aluminuim. All the OCT stuff is amazing quality, just very expensive.

Defratos said:
Hope you don't mind me posting pics of your IC Andy, but it looks very funky. So was it all custom made? and how were they able to run the pipe work up through the middle of the bonnet? How thick is the IC?

i-andysfmic2.jpg

i-andysfmic.jpg

P.S. Whats the "Rad"? Do you mean rediator? if so how did you manage to move it an inch back? and do you remember how much it roughly cost you?
Yes radiator was moved back with bigger mounting blocks giving more room for a thicker i/c core,core is 80mm thick,the fabrication was done cheap as were materials due to my mates having all their ibiza intercooler kits for their business made by this guy.The piping is routed straight up and through the composite front panet(ie made a large hole with a hole cutter)to give a shorter piping route with less bends,the fabricator does a lot of top end motorsport stuff and suggested this layout.This type of design was also used by allard on the jabba/badger5 mk4 golf.I shall try and find a pic of the piping in the engine bay and post it up.Cheers Andy

Hi all, this is my first post to this forum..

I found all FMIC kits very expensive compared to prises of generic coolers, so I decided to try do it by myself. I bought 530x230x76mm cooler, two 90 degree, two 45 degree silicone hoses and had two 30 degree alumium angle made. Pipes and hoses are 60mm. I also bought two angles to hold the cooler, all this cost about 500€.

Assembly was pretty easy although I've never done anything to cars. I cut peace of crash bar away so that cooler fitted behind it. Biggest problem was to fit bumper because there wasn't much room for hoses and fog lights.

My next step will be stainless steel pipes, silicone hoses does not look so good and bumper will fit better.

Here are some pics of my setup:
http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/juhkis/cooleri/

juhkis said:

I found all FMIC kits very expensive compared to prises of generic coolers, so I decided to try do it by myself. I bought 530x230x76mm cooler, two 90 degree, two 45 degree silicone hoses and had two 30 degree alumium angle made. Pipes and hoses are 60mm. I also bought two angles to hold the cooler, all this cost about 500€.

Assembly was pretty easy although I've never done anything to cars. I cut peace of crash bar away so that cooler fitted behind it. Biggest problem was to fit bumper because there wasn't much room for hoses and fog lights.

My next step will be stainless steel pipes, silicone hoses does not look so good and bumper will fit better.

Well done, looks good! How did you calculate the total required volume? Does it just equal that of the removed OEM intercoolers.

juhkis said:

I've been planning a custom job myself...

good pics mate... how does it perform?? any diff from standard?

I didn't count volume but it must be 3 - 4 times bigger than stock coolers together. I what I have heard, bigger is better what comes with coolers. Bigger cooler than this is would need more changes to crash bar and to the support iron that holds the lock.

Because I ran my car with stock ecu, I couldnt find big differences. I assumed that if volume gets much bigger there would be more lag, but I didn't notice difference in that. Turbo responses still very fast. But now I'm waiting to get my ecu back from Revo...

I don't eather know if the air temperatures degreased, I didn't log temperature differences. Cooler is from HT-Tune, and it has 2,5" outlets. There are also two mounting points on the top and bottom of cooler.

Bumper fitting was a nightmare and I dont know if I can recommend this kind of pressure pipes&hoses. If you can, get custom made stainless steel pipes, it will cost the same as four silicon hoses.

I would suggest this kind of pipes I found from your gallery. Fitting the bumper would be much easier...

I see what you mean. I'll still have to change the passenger side pipes, and I'm changing the drivers side to fit the SDMIC for now. But I want to change to a single big intercooler at some point because I feel it's just more effecient, so I might do what you've done to yours, it seems to work good from what I can see :beerchug: