a3 3.2 dsg or an s4 ?

ikechukwu

Reaction score
As you can see I am confused. I have about 20 grand and perferably below to spend and want one of these 2 cars. I think i prefer the look of the a3 (especially with some upgraded delicious 19" rs4 b7 alloys) but i also love the performance of the the more powerful s4.
When I test drove an a3 it had done 6000 miles and was so smooth but compared to my mad bmw m roadster seemed a bit on the slow side, that's why I have started thinking about an s4 as it offers more performance. The main things i wont to know are how much better does a s4 sound and go than a 3.2 a3 and what's the difference in handling.

Your comment will be greatly appreciated ! :biggrin:

You clearly haven't test driven the S4 else you wouldn't need to ask this question (assuming we're talking about the V8 S4 and not the older model.

Much more refined, much more powerful, much nicer to look at, not a lot different in the fuel department...and what a noise :)

I'll second that, and i've got an A3 3.2 s-line. S4 is the way to go for performance/noise, it's streets ahead.:keule:

I'd love an S4, but only the V8 model.

V8 S4 all the way!

By the way, have you sold your M roadster?

Hotscar said:
V8 S4 all the way!

By the way, have you sold your M roadster?

No I havent sold it yet but when i come back from holiday will be selling it. It's an outstanding car especially that engine but I just want something more practical, something I can turn the volume up on my bose sound system and cruise at 100mph but then if need be I can put my foot down and be amazed by the performance and sound. I did love the a3 but in terms of performance it just didnt amaze like my m roadster did great car still.

S34 anyday of the week, so long as its the B6 one

Actually, I prefer the B5 V6 biturbo, but I would say that seeing I have one...... Problem with the V8 is that its a V8 all the time meaning pants MPG.. V6 Bi turbo offers similar performance for up to 10 MPg more...... Maintenance isnt a problem for me and far less of a hit in deprciation.....
Although you cant beat the V8 for exhuast note... B6 S4s came with the V8s too.

I have the 3.2 A3, and the only thing that stops me looking at the S4 as my next car is the interior... it sucks when compared to a (nice spec) A3.

slimbloke said:
I have the 3.2 A3, and the only thing that stops me looking at the S4 as my next car is the interior... it sucks when compared to a (nice spec) A3.

From what I have seen if anything the s4 has better interior than the a3

I agree with pretty much everyone else on here if you have a choice - go or the S4 , I very much doubt you will regret it

Eeef said:
I presume you're joking and actually meant the B7?

No, B6, they are V8's arent they ? B5 is the 2.7t, I didnt know they did a B7 s4 !

s4 all day long!!! no contest big up the V8

B5 is the first S4, using a 2.7T engine.

B6 is the second generation S4 using the 4.2 V8.

B7 is the facelift S4 with the single frame grille and still using the 4.2 V8.

What I would say is this, if you are coming from an ///M roadster you really need to drive one for a good couple of hours and make sure it is what you really want, completely different from the M, very secure and planted but it isn't really quick and no where near as exciting. A few guys have made the change, do a search on here, pistonheads and tyresmoke to see what they think.

would you have a manual s4 though? its just that you state 3.2 DSG in your thread - from what i know the only auto option for the s4 is the multitronic which saps some of the v8 power - would there be a gulf in real world power from an s4 multi to a 3.2 dsg???

If was was to buy he s4 I would get the manual. Also how does the 3.2 compare to the s3 and it really worth the extra and how will the 3.2 depreciate in comparism

B6 S4 V8

B7 S4 V8

004__scaled_600.jpg

S4 is a tip box not a multi only FWD are multi...Tip S4 is lovely..!!!
Big up the V8...(sorry, great engine)
I prefer the B6 not sure about the front grill......

don't like the grill but i like the bigger audi's and their permanent quattro system and longitudinal engine, well the v6 one the v8 feels quite a bit more nose heavy to me? if your not going to modify v8 would be the one, or v6 biturbo if you want to mod ..