ground issue???

rich080487

Reaction score
Hi,
I have got a 2004 2.0tdi.
A while ago there was a slight flicker to both the main lights and interior lights, I thought this might be a ground issue, but couldn't find any obvious issues.

Recently the radio has starting switching off randomly whilst driving, and then switching on again. As well as the engine hesitating at cruisibg/low load, but very rarely.

I have done some research which also points towards a ground issue, particularly the one under the battery tray. When my lights initially started flickering I looked for this major ground, but no luck.

Does anyone have a picture or guide on where this ground connection is please? I think I need to find it and clean it as a first solution...

Any advice muh appreciated.
Thanks, Rich

You could run a temporary chassis connection from the battery terminal direct to a mounting point on the engine block. Buy generic cable with eyelets each end and bolt it on to prove. If it is not the _ ve. Cable , do the same for the +ve. Connection.
Also un bolt the existing Battery cables and wire brush the mating surfaces , actually you should try that first.

You could run a temporary chassis connection from the battery terminal direct to a mounting point on the engine block. Buy generic cable with eyelets each end and bolt it on to prove. If it is not the _ ve. Cable , do the same for the +ve. Connection.
Also un bolt the existing Battery cables and wire brush the mating surfaces , actually you should try that first.

Thanks. I have already tried cleaning up the terminals on the battery. I wondered whether anyone could point me towards the major earthing point that people keep referencing under the battery tray...

I will try an extra ground, initially with a jumper lead at idle to see if it improves anything. Thanks for suggestions.

Any other suggestions welcome.
Cheers, Rich

I was going to suggest a jumper lead but not much chance of the fault showing up when static.
Can you not just follow the battery cable to see where it's bolted on?

Earth points

Reactions: HHS3
A temporary chassis connection could be routed directly from the battery terminal to a mounting location on the engine block. To demonstrate, get generic cable with eyelets on both ends and bolt it on. If it is not the _ve. cable, repeat the procedure for the +ve. connection.