Central locking

Riccoshire

Reaction score
Here's my problem with my a4 b6 avant. The remote fob has never worked since I've had the car. I replaced the battery and tried to reprogramme(various methods but none worked). The only way to get into the car is to manually insert key In drivers side, turn to the right(no noise),then insert the key and turn on ignition to unlock all the doors. To lock the car is key in the lock, turn it to the left, it locks all the doors and flashes hazards once. However I noticed the led on the door card flashes for about 10 seconds, goes SOLID red for about 30 seconds (maybe even more)then settles down to a steady flash. There is no chirp from the alarm siren, but when I looked at it the usual battery explosion had happened and(I reckon) completely destroyed the circuit board, it's in a mess. I pulled the passenger carpet up, had a look at the module and it was completely dry and to be fair it looked brand new. Everything else is working in the doors, windows working fine, mirrors working, door markers and internal locking. The only thing that happens sometimes is the speakers cut out/crackle slightly,(drivers and passengers). I'm wondering if the alarm siren is causing the problem and sending a signal back and telling the car there's a problem. Bit lost atm. It's an inconvenience at best, but most of the car is up together and would like this working as it did come with remote locking in the first place. Thank-you all.

Last edited:
A VCDS/Vagcom diagnostic should tell you whats wrong. Worth checking the wiring into the doors as it's common for breaks inside the rubber bellows.

As Paul above has said check the wiring between the body and door as its a common problem for it to break.

Wiring between body an door checked. There was damaged to the outer plastic and a couple of stands snapped on 2 of them but not all the way through. I taped it all back up, but problem persists. Does the faults need to be cleared first and then see if problems are still there? I cannot access vcds.

My alarm box (on a cab) was gone, see the pic below. The central locking still worked.

Vcds would be the best bet. You can use the VCDS map to find the nearest member with vcds who may be able to help.

Attachments

• IMG-20151009-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20151009-WA0002.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG-20151009-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20151009-WA0001.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 124
Thanks for replies. I have read that someone else has got rid of the multi connector that is on the pillar and permanently soldered the wires together because of connector problems. Is this worth doing?

As already stated you need to get it on VCDS, which will tell you exactly what's wrong.

Reactions: mattmanwrx