RS3 Face lift coming in November

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm being honest, although I don't want to say it but am getting a little peeved with Audi. Very tempted with FL A45 fully specced up and discounted to around 43k. A very tempting proposition. And only an 8 week wait.

If I'm being honest, although I don't want to say it but am getting a little peeved with Audi. Very tempted with FL A45 fully specced up and discounted to around 43k. A very tempting proposition. And only an 8 week wait.

Do not be tempted by the Dark Side !

Hang in there ... the RS3 is worth the wait ... at least this way you should be one of the first to get a face lift ... whenever that is ?

But seriously, the 2.5 litre engine & supporting soundtrack are worth the agonising wait over the Merc alone :yes:

Reactions: 45bvtc
Do not be tempted by the Dark Side !

Hang in there ... the RS3 is worth the wait ... at least this way you should be one of the first to get a face lift ... whenever that is ?

But seriously, the 2.5 litre engine & supporting soundtrack are worth the agonising wait over the Merc alone :yes:
But this is getting so frustrating.

But this is getting so frustrating.

I can sympathise with that, but if it is down to Audi re-tooling etc for the face lift, then that would stack up woudn't it.

The only potential annoyance I can see is if as some have suggested the A3 & S3 are given preference first and the RS3 facelift is not scheduled to re-commence build until a few months later.

The other factor going in Audi's favour if they do this, is that there will be an extended break in supply which will steadily start building a demand and waiting list again, so they can repeat the cycle of the current RS3 and dictate zero or minimal discounts for the initial surge of interest and orders.

All I can say is that I waited 7 months for my car and it was seriously worth the waiting agony :yes:

Reactions: Radman
You have two choices:

1) Ring round as many dealers as possible and find one with a build slot pre facelift, potentially miss out on a power upgrade and a few tweaks here and there.

2) Put a deposit down on a facelift that you haven't yet seen and have no idea when it will be delivered, despite the BS the dealers will tell you about minimal waits.

I was so lucky I got a slot as it turns out, or was I??

I feel your pain I really do, but if you want one, you still can get one!

Yes its always nice to have the newest version of a car.
But: We basically don't know anything about the facelift and whether it is so much different from the current one.
The looks and some things like Matrix-LED and Virtual Cockpit aside.

When the A45 AMG was first released it was an okay car. It had bonkers powers but aside from that hadn't really anything to offer.
The FL A45 AMG however really is a "new" car compared with the old.
- Front diff
- Semislick
- drive modes including adjustable dampers
- weight loss
- more power
- better transmission

Why? Because it was obvious for everyone to see that the A45 AMG pre face lift when pitted against S3,M135i and Golf R had quite some problems keeping its supremacy. (Main weakpoint being the transmission).
AMG had to do something.
So they updated the A45 with some proper hardware. And it made the car miles better than it was before.
Now the M2 beat A 45 AMG facelift around Hockenheim short. (1 second faster)
The A45 AMG with front diff and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup2 (Semislick) was 1 second quicker than the current RS3.
Put some proper tyres on the RS3 and it will be even or maybe quicker.

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/vllufutk8tt5

Now, does the current RS3 need that much improvement as the A45 did?
Looking at laptimes and roadtests in various magazines, I would say no.

What I want to say is, that to me the hardware and technical site of things is more important than the look of the car or virtual cockpit or matrix led or whatever.

If the RS3 facelift would have such severe upgrades as the A45 facelift did I would consider switching from my current RS3 to the facelifted one.

But we don't know what will happen.

For people like Radman who are still waiting it would be way easier if they knew more about the facelift.

All I know is that the new one will probably have a new aluminium based engine while our current one has a gray iron cast engine.
Maybe the want to get rid of some weight on the front end.
It will probably have a little more power (which needs to be 400+ PS to really matter since the current RS3 has more than the 367PS Audi says). I would guess it becomes around 385-390 PS.

I made some screenshots from the leaked video of the US RS3 Sedan reveal and highlighted some things which differ from the current RS3.

RS3 1

RS3 2

Those brakes above could be the ceramic £££££££ option.

I know it's me, I know, I know; been through the company car thing where I was given brand-new MG Montego Turbos straight from the factory that were generally changed at 1500-miles for another: in the late 80's early 90's the MG Montego Turbo was a nifty piece of kit and with it's characteristic torque-steer loads of fun; but now, with my age starting with a '7' I just don't care so much about the 'new' and or the 'facelift': I much prefer giving the 'old' and 'less obvious' some serious effort...

OK, my 2011 RS3 is now out of warranty and I'm happy about that; being reluctant to make changes that may have affected 'warranty' was always an issue, and every time I took my RS3 to my Audi dealer there was always an issue once I got the car home and checked the work done; warranty behind me my problems have ceased, so I now just give my RS3 the due diligence it deserves; and if it looks old or is a nano second slower than a newer model then so be it; if it goes wrong then I'll just put it right, no worries...

Married now for 48-years, I don't think I could handle a newer 'wife' model either; much happier with the 8P RS3 I have; same with me Mk2 TT roadster, and 2004 diesel A2: all F U N and all enjoyable doing what they do best...

Don't think I'll be buying another 'new' car, waste of £££s just for a 'facelift'

Nothing wrong with this as is
Capel Curig P1010776 mod
:

Reactions: AndyB-S3, Gorillajebus, Dazzeroo and 4 others
Thought so too in the beginning. But the disc is too shiny and the caliper is black.
Usually the discs are matte und the calpiers are silver/gray from Audi Sport.

IMG_0016.JPG

Those brakes above could be the ceramic £££££££ option.

But you'll not like 'ceramics' in everyday road use, Snake; wow are they 'sharp' at low speed - even in an R8 V10 Plus

P1000901x

Hit the brakes in one of these with carbon ceramics and your eyeballs are focused on the rear view mirror 'cause for sure the guy behind is on good old cast iron brake discs - and if it's an RS3 you can bet it'll have sh*t OEM pads

Last edited:
Reactions: RYes3 and Snake Pliskin
I love the 'TECH' snake I really do; but it was the same in the 70's with Lotus cars when their/my brakes were way better that the following Transit vans; you just never dare hit 'em 'cos you knew that tw*t in the Trany behind just couldn't stop in the same distance you could, so one always drove defensively anyway - especially in a glass-fibre bodied Lotus

Went on an Audi experience day a couple of years back and even the instructors said ceramics were a no-no for road work, and having tried 'em in a variety of Audis I'd agree 100% with that

Reactions: Kugaman1, Snake Pliskin and RYes3
I know it's me, I know, I know; been through the company car thing where I was given brand-new MG Montego Turbos straight from the factory that were generally changed at 1500-miles for another: in the late 80's early 90's the MG Montego Turbo was a nifty piece of kit and with it's characteristic torque-steer loads of fun; but now, with my age starting with a '7' I just don't care so much about the 'new' and or the 'facelift': I much prefer giving the 'old' and 'less obvious' some serious effort...

OK, my 2011 RS3 is now out of warranty and I'm happy about that; being reluctant to make changes that may have affected 'warranty' was always an issue, and every time I took my RS3 to my Audi dealer there was always an issue once I got the car home and checked the work done; warranty behind me my problems have ceased, so I now just give my RS3 the due diligence it deserves; and if it looks old or is a nano second slower than a newer model then so be it; if it goes wrong then I'll just put it right, no worries...

Married now for 48-years, I don't think I could handle a newer 'wife' model either; much happier with the 8P RS3 I have; same with me Mk2 TT roadster, and 2004 diesel A2: all F U N and all enjoyable doing what they do best...

Don't think I'll be buying another 'new' car, waste of £££s just for a 'facelift'

Nothing wrong with this as isView attachment 86056 :

What kind of issues did you find after having work done by Audi? Surely they should be the best given the price they charge!

What kind of issues did you find after having work done by Audi? Surely they should be the best given the price they charge!

Mainly screws missing; under-tray loose; just stupid stuff. Ok, I'm hands on with a pit in my garage, etc; but you just don't expect an Audi dealer to be as deficient; especially when you give 'em chapter and verse on the service expected: lots of apologies mind, and in writing...

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Yeah various under tray screws missing, lack of cleaning up after gearbox or engine oil change.
Brake fluid too full so over spilling etc.

Nothing wrong with this as isView attachment 86056 :

I am old enough to remember the mg Montegos & Maestros when they first came out in "83 (albeit I was only 12 at the time) ... That was around the time I really started to get into cars. Digital dash's were mega cool at the time and "bing bong please fasten your seatbelt" lol.

By the late 80's I was driving and through my 1st ever job as a trainee car salesmen at a local 'Rover' Dealer (I'm not a car salesman by the way lol that was just a short career after leaving college) .... Well anyway ... at the age of 18 and just getting hold of my licence they let me loose with the 2nd gen MG Maestroes & Montegos and I can vouch they were incredibly rapid. They even let me loose in a 2.7 litre Rover 800 fastback vitesse and I'm surprised I didn't kill myself jeeeesus that was rapid.

I don't think I've been the same with cars since lol.

By the way ... Your Bluey is a keeper !
There is something iconic about the mark I RS3 already IMO. It's a great looking car and after owning my own for a few weeks I can already begin to relate to a lot of what you say and joy for these cars :)

Reactions: Eigdoog, 45bvtc, RYes3 and 2 others
Served my time at Rover and road testing 827 rovers and MG montegos were amazing!
Great cars in their day just like the RS3 is now but the RS3 will last.

Reactions: 45bvtc and Snake Pliskin
But you'll not like 'ceramics' in everyday road use, Snake; wow are they 'sharp' at low speed - even in an R8 V10 Plus

View attachment 86057

Hit the brakes in one of these with carbon ceramics and your eyeballs are focused on the rear view mirror 'cause for sure the guy behind is on good old cast iron brake discs - and if it's an RS3 you can bet it'll have sh*t OEM pads

Great R8 :sunglasses:

& great insight into brakes & ceramics ... yeah makes total sense & best they are saved for 'track use only'.

Never a fan of the mg montego.....but the maestro mg turbo.....now that was a beast. Test drove one in 1989.... Would have bought it but for the blue smoke!

Tahnks for the comments guys, lime I said I'm finding the whole facelift/no facelift a tadge tiresome now. I've test driven the a45 and I am really tempted. But I don't want to take the plunge until I hear/see the facelift RS3. Come on Audi, we know it's happening, just let us know.

A45 will always be a cylinder short tho Rad

Reactions: 45bvtc and Radman
How true about the MK1 RS3 being very special!

I'm really looking forward to getting my 8V as in terms of technology and refinement it's much more modern. However, the downside is that I won't have my beloved MK1 anymore. It's definitely a future classic, way more than the 8V in my opinion.

If I won the lottery it would go into storage for 20 years when the 8V arrives. I bet even after all that time it would get just as much attention as it does now more likely more. Yep, I will be sad to see her go... :(

Reactions: Marshy, T-800, 45bvtc and 1 other person
Denied. Went into the dealer today to place an order and told Audi no longer accepting orders. Talk of September deliveries of facelift as factory is getting tooled up. So have asked him to tell me the moment he knows so I can place an order.
Won't be this year in the UK imho, I predict that the RS3 will be stopped for a while (as in a gap in production) whilst A3's and S3's are being produced.

TX.

Reactions: RYes3
Served my time at Rover and road testing 827 rovers and MG montegos were amazing!
Great cars in their day just like the RS3 is now but the RS3 will last.

Blimey Kev, did we meet? I had a couple of 827 Vitessse but much preferred the Montego, far more chuckable, as is the RS3 to an RS7...

One memorable MG Montego Turbo moment

MG Montego Accident 1

And no, it wasn't my fault; we'd been stationary (under Spaghetti junction) for 10-minutes or so due to an accident and the Hampson Haulage driver decided to move off first; I think I took the car straight back to Longbridge and got another; oh the joys of company cars...

Anyway, changed companies and moved on to a Vauxhall Carlton GSI3000 :racer: A great engine with powerslides on demand

Reactions: Marshy, Spaceman_RS3 and Snake Pliskin
You should write a book 45 it would be class

Reactions: RYes3, Snake Pliskin and 45bvtc
Building anwestfield is actually not out the question in the not so distant future.

Honestly tho all the little stories would make a fantastic read even as little short story collection with some his trot to boot.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Building anwestfield is actually not out the question in the not so distant future.

Honestly tho all the little stories would make a fantastic read even as little short story collection with some his trot to boot.

Tell me more if and when and I can send you a CD copy of the appropriate manual; and thanks...

Westfield Capture

Last edited:
Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and Snake Pliskin
@45bvtc

lol forget the facelift ... lets have some more photo's of your mg montego's & Maestro's from the 80's :)

Digidash mgmaestro1

Shanghai 1985 with the then current 'facelift' model:

Shanghai 44 1

And I still have the jacket - can't zip it up, mind, but I do still have that jacket...:haha:

Reactions: Gorillajebus and Snake Pliskin
Tell me more if and when and I can send you a CD copy of the appropriate manual; and thanks...

View attachment 86127

Myself and my dad have invested in some shares if they come good like we hope I'd like to buy anwestfield kit and build it with him for fun on the road for him and track for me

A guy I worked with bought a red maestro turbo back in the day , we were all gobsmacked that it could talk ! How times have changed , can't forget the mg metro turbo as well , it was a weapon !

A guy I worked with bought a red maestro turbo back in the day , we were all gobsmacked that it could talk ! How times have changed , can't forget the mg metro turbo as well , it was a weapon !

We had one of those too, with RED seatbelts, happy days:

Dixie 2X

Myself and my dad have invested in some shares if they come good like we hope I'd like to buy anwestfield kit and build it with him for fun on the road for him and track for me

PM me your address Spaceman and I'll send you a CD copy of the Westfield SE/SEi construction manual; this starts from first principles i.e., fitting body side panels rather than a Module Build kit... :readit:

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Status
Not open for further replies.