2.0tdi random cut out (bkd)

S3rep

Reaction score
Hi guy's and gal's.. here's the big question. I purchased a Audi a3 last Monday, it needed a few bits doing which I could do all bar one. He said the car cut out twice in the last 6 months but started after turning over for a bit. So me and my Mrs share the car and drive daily including motorway daily.
On Thursday night I left work and for first time stuck my foot down.. 2 mins around corner it basically stalled going down 4th to 3rd at a roundabout. Car refused to start as if their was no fuel so had it recovered and left it at garage.
In morning mechanic said he charged battery and bleed the fuel and it started first time. When I picked it up it felt allot more responsive power wise but scared to open it up again. The next day I get engine light, paid £20 for diagnostic and he said egr... I took it of and the seals looked battered but the egr was shining clean.. just a tiny amount wet oil in their. Forgot to check if vacuum held the valve open when blocked but put it back on for now. Whilst doing egr I noticed a split in a vacuum pipe on top of pipe from air filter to turbo so sniped it back and refitted. Still driving since Friday fine just not booting it, done motorway miles since too and drives with no faults starts every time in under a second...

Any first ideas?
I'm not sure if the egr would make it cut out and not start?

Weak fuel pump? It's OK doing 80 on motorway but I'm guessing more demands on acceleration over high speeds?

Any help appreciated
Thanks

Ok guys I've been reading up so much on similar problems but can't see any the same as mine... I'm going to change the fuel filter tomorrow and check fuel whilst doing it.. I will post some pics for some second opinions if I'm unsure of anything.

Also I'm thinking of driving it a bit hard tomorrow to see if it cuts out again.. as I may be able to find what's causing it to cut out?

Good or bad idea?

Done my fuel filter change today. The seal on the filter was stretched and may not have been 100% functional as their was a slight gap all the way around. The filter tank wasn't even half full and the fuel in the can was only slightly darker blue then the new diesel.

Old diesel.
3747bfaecfa5e44aab50ea5dec90a0c5.jpg

New diesel
4794bd757809ecfc7c89b5b8e45f9aeb.jpg

Cleaned filter can
63154b76c87a8c48682bf524799f4642.jpg

Filter comparison
f84d0650a5d39ae4de3e1970669dc486.jpg

Questions:
Should the filter tank stay 100% full at all times?

Does the diesel comparison look ok or would that change equal some sort of contamination?

Quick update, cars feeling allot more responsive, took it to a tonne on m1 then put my foot down on dual carriageways too and has not cut out yet so fingers crossed it was the fuel filter gasket failing

EGR fault wouldn't make it cut out buddy..
I'm no expert by any means but I do know that the EGR would cut the car out..

if it was cutting out, it must have been something fuel or air flow related.
it could have possibly been something to do with the fuel filter clogging things up?
then again.. I don't really know hahaha!!

Thanks for the reply bud I think it was the fuel filter seal letting air in... since the change its been spot on.

Reactions: Jack1990
Mine cut out last week changed fuel filter ran great all week then cut out again this morning. Started again after a lot of spinning

Mine cut out last week changed fuel filter ran great all week then cut out again this morning. Started again after a lot of spinning
Did you fill the fuel filter to the max?? Mine over flowed a little when I put cap on. Just to make sure no air was in it.
I could drive for months without it cutting out but as soon as I put my foot down that's when it sucked in some air.

If it's not the filter seal like mine then as the fuel filter at the front of the bay.. keep tools in the boot and maby some diesel. When the car cuts out check the filter can see if it's low or empty.. if it's empty then maby a blockage before it or weak fuel pump or something if it's still filled to Max then maby injector or something...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Quick update on this post...

So my Audi lasted almost a month but unfortunately it did cut out again.. I had another mechanic come out this time to look over the car so he plugged it into his computer and only fault was egr valve and as I fully agreed with someone in this post that this wouldn't make the car cut out and not start he said we was wrong.

He took the egr and throttle body off and the throttle body was stuck open. He cleaned them both and put them back on but as both gaskets was leaking he used some gasket seal I had then put it back together. He reset the system and turn it over.. it too about a minute of turning but it started fine and drive fine.

He said something like the leaking gaskets on egr can put the air intake off and force the car to shut down. As it's all electrical it must have just froze in position and won't start now until the issue is addressed.
And as its getting bad reading from egr the car doesn't primer the system hence why it would appear a fuel problem it's not.
And when the garage manually bled the system and reset the ecu from faults it just assumed it was fixed and drove for almost a day before light appearing again.

I'm no mechanic but that's along the lines of what he was explaining to me. So once again I will post back if the light comes back on or I have another cut out.. meantime I have to grab some original gaskets from Audi as the seal stuff he said is temporary.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk