Buying A5 - What is the most reliable engine?

Rideen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am in the process of switching from my A3 to A5 and need some assistance in choosing the right engine.

I decided to go with 2007-2011 Sportback diesel model and would love to hear your opinions on which engines are reliable and which not so much.

In particular I am looking into 2.0 TDI engines but have no idea which are good or bad. My current A3 is engine code BKD (140hp) and I am not very satisfied with it due to the fact that it was the early production version with cylinder head issues and many more.

Thanks in advance!

Go for the 2.7 tdi (fwd) or 3.0 tdi (Quattro). They are much more powerful, very strong and very reliable. Far more so than the 2.0 tdi

Concur ! I found my 2010 2.0TDi 1 A4 Avant Quattro A4 170HP version beautifully built but a bit of a slug quite honesty. 1st and 2nd gear are almost like pull away with a caravan set up...
The 3.0TDi Quattro A5 is flipping awesome....mine is the 240 odd HP Quattro Sline Black Edition.....and it fab and puts a smile on my face every time i drive it....those that have been remapped up to 300HP must be brilliant....put a Milltek catback exhaust on (check youtube) :)
The best thing tho is that the 3.0TDi engine does not sound like a diesel......more like a turbine.... Mine also has the 7 speed S-Tronic gearbox - so much nicer than the manual....fuel consumption averaging 36mpg around towns (witha lightish foot as I am in no hurry to get caught speeding again) and costs almost the same to insure as my old A4, and VED is £20 more....

Go test drive the 2.0, 2.7 and 3.0TDi.........

Reactions: Welshy
100% agree

I test drove the 2.0 TDI and found it too sluggish by far.

3.0 TDI coupled with the Stronic is sublime.

It depends on your driving style, however if you want to raise your pulse, even occasionally, go for the 3.0 Quattro!

Thanks for the replies guys!

The issue is that I've had my chunk of fun with the previous cars and am looking to settle down (and the gas prices at my country are sky high plus the yearly tax on 3.0 TDI is huge) so I am primarily looking into 2.0 TDI for family.

What concerns me the most is that I have no experience with these newer CR engines (all of the previous cars I've had were PD) so I am unsure on which 2.0 TDI engine codes have been proven to be reliable and which aren't.

I find the 2.0TDi 190ps Ultra very sluggish and the first 40% of the throttle quite dead. My previous PD170 SEAT was a lot more responsive.
The Audi does go but you do have to poke it with quite a bit of throttle angle, then immediately back out of it when the torque kicks in. It's very all or nothing and I much prefer the delivery of a petrol engine.

It's probably Audi's way of trying to make it more eco' when cruising on the M'way.

Previous a3 owner... I know what you mean.

For economy and reliabilty go for fwd 3.0 tdi (204bhp) model. Do same miles than 2.0 177 version with a bit more power too.

Under powered 3.0 give reliabilty with movement to remap for more power ect without strain on the setup.

Warning is if u go multitronic that audi loves to couple with that engine is that it outputs 400nm torque so u cant remap it for anymore power as its max torque the cvt gearbox can take.

The lower powered 2.0 are just horrible to drive. 177 is nice as a family car tho and so is the 204.

U can't race around england esp with the family in the car but when u drive alone both engines are great and will give u enough to power off the lights without driving like a ****.

Reactions: lenti
I have a 2015 2.0TDI black edition plus so the 190 engine and I find the performance perfectly acceptable, nice and torquey, it does run out of steam pretty quick but still fast enough for my needs and I've always had fast petrol cars in the past, hope this helps

Concur ! I found my 2010 2.0TDi 1 A4 Avant Quattro A4 170HP version beautifully built but a bit of a slug quite honesty. 1st and 2nd gear are almost like pull away with a caravan set up...
The 3.0TDi Quattro A5 is flipping awesome....mine is the 240 odd HP Quattro Sline Black Edition.....and it fab and puts a smile on my face every time i drive it....those that have been remapped up to 300HP must be brilliant....put a Milltek catback exhaust on (check youtube) :)
The best thing tho is that the 3.0TDi engine does not sound like a diesel......more like a turbine.... Mine also has the 7 speed S-Tronic gearbox - so much nicer than the manual....fuel consumption averaging 36mpg around towns (witha lightish foot as I am in no hurry to get caught speeding again) and costs almost the same to insure as my old A4, and VED is £20 more....

Go test drive the 2.0, 2.7 and 3.0TDi.........
Funny I came across this as I got an a3 bkd and it's having its issues but on this note I started looking at a5 3.0 tdi and what a noise from a diesel! So I know what's next!

Did you buy it?

I've got the '08 3.0 Manual and mapped, I'd say 260/270 after map, I average 45 MPG (Motorway) long stretch can get near 600 miles on a £60 tank.

It's not the power, but the smoothness of the delivery that everyone that gets in mine loves. Very fast, handles well. Only complaint on the A5 is for such a beast it's not that big inside.

:)

Oh I've done 25k or so in mine in a year, never missed a beat!