A1 Black edition 185 info please

MFZ

Reaction score
Hi all and im new to the site, im about to purchase an A1 black edition 185 , July 2013 for the Mrs.

I thought id have a look around the internet for some info on the car... and to my horror opened a can of worms!

i see this has been discussed a fair bit but im in panic mode now , we are going to purchase the car saturday so some any quick responses appreciated.

im now worried this is an oil burner and buying lots of problems ?... its done 19k miles , FASH, buying it from an Audi dealer approved used so will have Audi 12 month warranty

The engine code is CTHG .... can anyone shed some light on this please ..... is this effected by the oil consumption or has this code been looked into on a 13 plate and rectified or prone to oil burning?.... should i steer well clear ?...HELP!

I believe this is the 1.4 engine that was also fitted to A3 and VW products at the same time. May be worth searching a bit more widely.

Thanks for the reply, the post had a lot of views but no comments and when we saw the car she fell in love with it instantly , white in colour black edition with all the extras , i must admit its a stunning little car!

so needless to say we took a chance, on research the car had warranty work for breather valve and piston rings so im happy this has been rectified if not we purchased the car from Audi and has the 1 year warranty and i will extend this in 12 months...

The cars 2 and half years old serviced at 11,000 and just serviced for the sale at 19,000 and comes with the service plan until 2018. so im happy and the misses well i've never seen he so excited about a car ...

Reactions: 45bvtc
Tesco

Reactions: 45bvtc
Its a lovely car congrats!

Been looking at A1s for my GF as well. So do the 1.4TFSI suffer from the same oil consumption issues as the 2.0TFSI on the older A4, A5 and Q5s? I had that issue on my old A5.....

Looks nice but £19k ?? Worth more like 13/14k? Just bought a new BE SB COD 150 for just over £20k with pan roof , Nav and other bits. Who originally owned the car?

? Who said it cost that much ? .... it said serviced at 19,000... which is what the miles are

Reactions: RGBARGEE
Ah yes... Mis read the post. Not worth £19k

I looked at 2.5-3 year olds between £14-17k and concluded buying new was better option.

Its a lovely car congrats!

Been looking at A1s for my GF as well. So do the 1.4TFSI suffer from the same oil consumption issues as the 2.0TFSI on the older A4, A5 and Q5s? I had that issue on my old A5.....

Hi DrEskimo

on my research i found there are lots of Audi models in the range suffering from oil consumption not sure about the lower power 1.4 tfsi's as i only tried to find info for this model the 185

It was featured on watchdog on an A4 i think , ive not seen it but its on youtube.

but what ive found online audi are repairing or paying up to 80% of the cost providing its FASH from what i gather. this ones full service , warranty and service plan from Audi so im not worried at all
So Dont let it scare you off , the internet is good and bad and full of bar room mechanics all you ever hear are horror stories if we listened to all of them we'd never buy a car...its a great little car and fully loaded more extras and gizmos than my TT black edition amplified pack and the misses loves it that's the main thing .win win

Reactions: 45bvtc and DrEskimo
Hi DrEskimo

on my research i found there are lots of Audi models in the range suffering from oil consumption not sure about the lower power 1.4 tfsi's as i only tried to find info for this model the 185

It was featured on watchdog on an A4 i think , ive not seen it but its on youtube.

but what ive found online audi are repairing or paying up to 80% of the cost providing its FASH from what i gather. this ones full service , warranty and service plan from Audi so im not worried at all
So Dont let it scare you off , the internet is good and bad and full of bar room mechanics all you ever hear are horror stories if we listened to all of them we'd never buy a car...its a great little car and fully loaded more extras and gizmos than my TT black edition amplified pack and the misses loves it that's the main thing .win win

Yea unfortunately I am well aware of the issue...!

There was a lawsuit in the US which helped prompt Audi UK to finally come forward and rectify the problem, which was very clearly a design fault with those particular 2.0TFSI engines. It seemed that the segment on Watchdog only further cemented the blame and not only ensured that owners affected could get the fix free of charge even beyond the warranty period, but also those that had previously paid for the work got a full refund. Seemed that FASH an non modifications were the only real issues with getting it for free, but even then it doesn't seem like they were too strict thankfully.

When my A5 had the stage one consumption test I was recorded as going through 1lt of oil every 400miles..! Thankfully all fixed FOC and the fix seemed permanent. Sold that car on now so its just the petrol gauge I watch empty at a similar ridiculous rate on my S5... :p

Its certainly a nice little car, and in the S-line and BE guise, seems fairly yet equipped. Not as generous as the S5 BE, but as you say not as stingy as the TT BE!

Will do a little reading around the subject, but it doesn't seem to be as widespread as the 2.0TFSI if it does suffer from oil consumption problems.

Thanks for the info , i didn't know that being new to the forum and issue ...so thanks for that :) but we are more tha happy car looks cool drives great ,real fun and the boss loves it... im aloud to put a couple of coats of wax on it the weekend

Last edited:
Thanks for the info , i didn't know that being new to the forum and issue ...so thanks for that :) but we are more tha happy car looks cool drives great ,real fun and the boss loves it... im aloud to put a couple of coats of wax on it the weekend

Awesome! I doubt we will be looking for one for another year or so yet, but as usual I'm getting excited about buying a new car, even if its not mine and been on the configurator a fair bit!