2.8 V6 30v to 06a 1.8T ??

grahams81

Reaction score
Hi folks,

A while ago i got offered a 2001 B5 2.8 V6 30v APR Manual Quattro.... it's basically an old family car that's been replaced and forgotten about.... so it's stood for a year and a bit.
My landlady want's rid of it off the drive and i previously gave it a good dose of looking at to see if i could bring it back to life and use it as a daily for the wife.

IMG_1374_zpsgf9rzdsb.jpg

I was building a 4wd Seat Leon, with a massive silly turbo..... basically cut the boot floor outta a s3 and sewn it back into the Leon at the factory joints. Well i started the project before me and the missus even considered kids, i've now got a 3 year old and the missus is about to drop the second.
With the fact the car has a roll cage / buckets welded in and the fact the Leon "should" have a SVA test before going back on the road i'm thinking of letting a friend buy it as a rolling shell as he has been wanting it for a while.

I can't stop looking at pictures of B5's, absolutely love older Audi's (and new ones) So my mind is running away with itself.

I already have a fully build up 06a 2.1 stroker engine with race cams / large port head / arp everything / girdle etc etc....so this got me thinking about dropping it into the A4.

I have a few options -

1. Sell everything and buy a S4 (where's the fun in that !!! i like to tinker)
2. Sell everything except my turbo and rebuild / fully forge the 2.8 30v and make a single turbo beast.
3. Swap out the V6 and install the built up 06a 1.8T engine.

Option 3 is where i need a little help.

I have been trolling the internet for information about this, what i've come up with -

Most 1.8T B5's are ME3.8 with 058 blocks AEB engines.
Apparently there was 1 version of the 06a block engines in a B5 - that was a AWM in 2000-2001
Was the AWM released in the UK ?? (i've searched for AWM parts on eBay and come up with nothing)

I have been trying to make a shopping list of parts i'll need.

Engine Mounts -

I know i'll need different engine mounts from the 30v, anybody have part numbers of the ones i'll need ? or any info from other more popular models that fit ? (thinking Passat 1.8T or maybe A6 ?)

Wiring -

I'll need another loom & ECU, probably from a AWM.....again not having much look sourcing one.
I have a AUQ loom and ECU from the Leon.
The 30v is a APR engine code which i believe is a DBW engine, i'm guessing this should make the swap a bit easier as it should have already a DBW Pedal.
From what i've read whatever ECU i get will need to be coded to match the clocks / keys.

Would i have any further issues with electric windows / airbags / ABS other things not working ?

I was planning on using Eurodyne Maestro on the Seat which i believe will still work on any ME7.5 ecu.

Gearbox -

The A4 has a 5 speed fitted, will my 1.8T 06a bolt up to it ? or is it a different bell housing ? ( i know the traverse 2.8 VR6's use a different pattern)
Also i already have a good Clutchmasters FX400 which i bought for a 02m gearbox (240mm clutch)
Will that clutch / flywheel work or is the Longitudinal version different ?

If your still reading this then hats off to you, any information would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Graham.

Very late B5's got the 06B engine (AWM engine)

The 06A and 06B are largely compatible, but the B series uses different mounts and accessory drives etc.

You'll need to find a passat/A4/A6 with an 06B, and get the engine mounting brackets, and accessory bracketry, alternator, PAS pump etc, inlet manfold etc. Your exhaust manifold might also not fit, depends what it is etc. You'll also need a 4 cylinder PAS hose or the whole rack. The sump is also different, and i think the oil pickup pipe maybe? Almost worthwhile picking up a whole AWM passat and pulling all the needed parts off it.

Most facelift B5's are DBW, so if you find a loom from a APU it'll mostly work. You'll need to make some tweaks to convert it to run ME7.5 rather than ME7.1 though. ~2000-2001 Passats also have the AWM engine with a compatible DBW harness.

The subframe and car side of the engine mounts is all the same on the V6, so no issue there. The gearbox is compatible too, the 1.8T will bolt right up. Your existing clutch is no use though, you'll need a clutch and flywheel designed for the longitudinal engine. TTV Racing do a flywheel which takes an RS4 clutch for sensible money.

Its a fairly easy swap. I've put a 058 block 1.8T into an S4. A 06B would similarly drop in, your just needing a few extra bits because your starting from an 06A base.

Reactions: grahams81
Thinking about it, AWM is US only. The UK got the AWT, which is very similar. Might help for ebay searches!

Reactions: grahams81
Thats fantastic information, thank you very much.

From what i've read the AWT seems to be a 058 bottom end mated to a 06a style small port head.
More investigation required :)

Thanks Again.

Excellent news seen plenty of mounts etc for the AWT. Thanks Again:beercheers:

I suspect it might be easier finding a whole car for all the little bits you end up needing.

You'll pick up a rough passat for 3-400quid, gets you everything you need bar the odd few A4 specific parts and you'll have loads of parts to sell on to recoup the expenditure. "Nickel and Diming" all the bits will end up costing you a fortune.

Thinking about it, you'll need a front panel and crossmember from a 4 cylinder turbo B5. Radiator as well (though the passat rad should be the same).

Yeh your right, the little stuff soon adds up, i found that out the hard way in the past.
Thanks for your help.

When i get the car home i'll start up a build thread - it may help others as silly as me :)