Is this the end of my diff or haldex?

mephisto

Reaction score
Ok decided to take the plunge about 3 months back, switched to stage 2+. Whilst ah it's ok, need more power, my S3 has now developed an issue, a whining noise from the rear on lift off/coasting in gear. I booked her in for a check wheel bearings seem ok apparently, so i am at the crossroads of either uneven worn rears or diff. To me it sounds like transmission as its more pronounced as i said on lift off. The noise starts about 20/30mph but not really that much noisier at high speed.

Anyway i would really appreciate your thoughts on this one and my options, willing to take a risk and purchase a diff or and haldex or whatever it takes. I have read a few nightmare threads about stealer quotes of 2.5k+ not gonna happen!

Tia.

Have you tried swapping front wheels to the rear and vice versa? Might give you an idea of whether it is the tyres or not.

Obviously it's difficult to say without hearing it, but it does sound like it could be the diff from your description.

Had similar on my R32. Crown wheel bolts came loose and needed tightening.

Have a similar noise on my 2012 a3 tdi Quattro, all is quite and smooth when on the throttle but a slight whining noise starts when I come off the throttle, car has done 65k, hopefully nothing serious.

Have a similar noise on my 2012 a3 tdi Quattro, all is quite and smooth when on the throttle but a slight whining noise starts when I come off the throttle, car has done 65k, hopefully nothing serious.

that is a worn bearing in the rear diff