Wierd noise from the back end.

WTID89

Reaction score
Hi,

Another problem with my a4 b5 1.8t quattro.

I replaced two of my abs sensors front drivers and rear drivers side.
It solved my braking problem but now i have an irritating metal on metal noise coming from the rear drivers side wheel its fairly loud and turns heads.

I noticed one of notches on the abs ring had a chip in it after struggling to get the old abs sensor out so i assumed the noise was proberly something to do with that,
So i replaced the driveshafts cv joint but when i took the old one out i noticed the whole abs ring had snapped and was spinning so i thought bingo problem solved that must be the metal on metal scraping noise i've been hearing.

Unfortuanetly even after a new cv joint and new discs and pads (which i forgot mention)
The noise is still there any idea's??? :/

Hi Chap,

A symplistic theory from me I'm afraid but have you checked that the disk back plate/sheild isn't catching on the disk and/or that some debris isn't trapped behind it from when you changed them? I'd personally just jack up the rear side that's making the noise and spin the wheel... it will be pretty obvious if it is the above and it should be an easy "free" fix too. So fingers crossed!

Hope that helps.

Hi,
Thank for reply :)

My plate shield isn't fitted and the noise was there before i change discs and pads.

Really thought changing driveshaft and discs and pads would solve it.

Update i had a look and noticed the copper abs sleeve was sticking out a further down inside hub, maybe its catching but i would of thought it would of worn down by now :/

Pop the sensor and sleeve out and drive round the block. If the noise remains you know its something else, if it goes away then you need to pay some attention to fitting the sensor and its sleeve properly.