Steering problem.

WTID89

Reaction score
A4 B5 1.8t quattro.

Hi,
I've recently replaced my front control arms on both sides including inner and outer tie rods.

It needs tracking cos it's slightly out, but i have a problem and want to know if theres an major issue before taking it to get tracked as i dont really want to drive it with how its handling atmo.

When driving in a straight line all of a sudden the car turns by its self and i have to turn the steering wheel nearly a 1/4 turn to keep it straight and i have to keep it turned to keep it straight.

I've checked everything as in postion of arms and making sure all bolts are fitted and fully tightened but i still have this problem,
I know with the tracking being out will affect the steering of the car but for me to have to turn it that much to keep it straight and have to keep it turned i have a funny feeling something is seriously wrong.

If anyone could suggest what may be wrong it would be very much appreciated as i've put alot of time and money into this car and i really don't want to have to scrap it :(

best thing is to get it up onto the alignment ramp and see whats going on. Probably lots of toe out on the front end.

Tell the garage what its doing and get them to check theres nothing loose or out of place. Its very likely its just that the alignment is miles out.

Yea think thats proberly best action to take.
Hopefully after alignment it will solve it or if not maybe they can see something that i can't.

90% the alignment is miles out. Our fleet vehicles are shocking as the lease company flatly refuses to do it. One van had a prang and the alignment was reset as part of the repair and it drives a million times better than the rest of our fleet.