Help big time!!!

Andy9

Reaction score
Hi guys, wonder if any of you guys can put me on the right track, I'm thinking of buying a 2003(53) AUDI a4 b6 1.9tdi quattro, 6 speed in Moro blue (151,000) with service history up to 98,000,on inspecting the car the bodywork is in very good condition, alloys could do with a refurb, the problem I've got is that the interior is a very worn light grey beige colour cloth and wondered if if possible to strip it out and fit a leather heated version ?, also upon starting the engine I noticed what I understand as the ESP symbol permanently illuminated and I pressed the ESP button but nothing happened and the button seemed dead and didn't seem to do anything, I asked the trader but he was unsure himself and said it could be sensor ?, the car test drove OK but seemed a bit sluggish but perhaps just me, I like the car but don't want to end up with a pile of trouble,just a bit worried when I see warning lights permanently on, sorry for the long thread but I'm a bit of a newbie on here, any help would be gratefully appreciated, cheers, andy

I wouldn't buy a car with a 50k gap in the service history.

There are enough cars about to not settle for one with potential troubles and a rough interior. I'd find another one to look at. :)

Last edited:
I'm sure you can ask for your money back under the new laws

Service history far more important than mileage, in answer to your specific questions. Interior can be swapped out quite simply although if you want to add heat that makes things more complicated. As for the ESP light that could be as simple as a dirty sensor or indeed more serious, my advice would be to get the car scanned before diving in. Have a look through the classifieds on here as there is a few 1.9 tdi's for sale in there.

Thanks ever so much all for your input, yes know exactly what you mean when it comes to service history, I bought my b5 1.8 20v 15 years ago with a full AUDI service history and still going strong now, do all my own repairs and servicing, a great car, I think it might outlive me if I let it !!!!, no seriously just fancied a b6 as always think these were the best made and fancied a diesal for a change but I don't know anything about diesal engines other than the 1.9 is supposedly to be a good bet if maintained properly, cheaper tax, better fuel economy, same performance etc, I have an EBay vagcom 409.1 cable, would this also fit the b6 quattro ? and tell me where the fault is with the ESP ?, to be honest I don't really know what this ESP is controlled by component wise, the car in question is potentialy a good buy for less than £2000 and with a bit of TLC could make it into a great car but don't want to get bogged down in a massive money pit
Cheers, andy

I'm thinking I may have to re think the price of mine if I sell. I am thinking of getting rid in the summer and was thinking of around the 2k mark as per my sig,or a bit cheaper if put back to standard, mint leather interior,176k with sercice history and every suspension component changed it also goes in at the end of the month for a new wing and front end respray.
Looks like I'll be keeper her a little longer.

I watch them all the time on auto trader and eBay and good examples fetch 3.0 tdi money!

Yeah your right, the car was in Bristol, but while I was thinking about it someone else bought it!!!!!, an well probably wasn't to be, if the interior had been in a bit better condition to start with I would have bought it, but the interior was well worn and really needed stripping out and replacing, the ESP was permanently on which bothered me ££££, I'm looking for another but there thin on the ground these day, specially when you after a particular colour, Moro blue (navy) fav colour

On yes, forgot to say if anyone on this forum and has a a4 1.9 TDI/quattro in Moro blue and is thinking of selling lease get in touch, thanks, andy

As Matty says get it scanned before purchasing, vagcom if poss at least you will start on the right footing.