MoT Retest Prices

newbieboyy

Reaction score
Hello!

My OH's Corsa failed it's MoT last week with a NSF Coil snap.

After declining there kind offer of replacing both springs for £320 (Including a 25% Parts and Labour discount in that price...) I got two new springs, chucked mechanic friend £50 and got them fixed.

When we spoke to the garage, they said a retest was £27.50, however I thought the retest value was up to a maximum of 50% of the Original MoT Price (Which was £27.50) making the most they could charge be £13.75?

"The current maximum fee for a partial MOT retest is half of the original MOT Test Fee."

Anybody know the correct answer?

The Maximum Full price they can charge for an MOT IS £54.85 , They are nearly 50% off that price for the normal fee.
The retest fee should only be 50% of the MOT price but is that 50% of there 50% discounted price or 50% of the full MOT fee ???
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/mot-test-fees
Either way if it's more than 10 days after the previous MOT failure you are obliged to pay the full fee again.
https://www.gov.uk/getting-an-mot/retests

Yep... That's my question ;-)
Ten days is up on Thursday I believe hence me wanting clarification. I can get a new MoT cheaper than there normal price which is why I want to confirm if it should be off the original price paid (Original = £27.50).

Go somewhere else and you run the risk of them finding something else. Put it back in for a retest and there's no real reason why it should fail again along as the repair work has been done correctly.
I find that places that offer cheap MOT's do it for a reason and are more liable to find something wrong or quote daft prices for work .
The place I take my cars for MOT's only do MOT's. They are not a garage and the only thing they change is wipers or bulbs .
They charge £35 for an MOT.

Reactions: jojo
I've never paid for retest. Choose a more friendly garage next time. Our local charges £45 for an test, reckon you're being HAD

Update:

We got the retest for £13, (half the £27) however they phoned my OH (despite being told to phone me) to say it was going to fail again as the rear brake light was broke. My OH authorised it then phoned me and i called them back.

I raised the query that if it was a retest they should only be testing the item that failed, as per the retest MOT rules, they said it wasn't a retest it was a full MOT as it had been removed from site, this then changed to full MOT as it was a spring. When i said if it was a full retest then I will come up and change the bulb instead of being charged £10 for a bulb replacement that takes two seconds to do, I was told it wasn't a full retest and i couldn't.

After arguing they told me they had already done it anyway so that was that.

I went in to collect with the OH and questioned it again, the lady dealing wasn't sure (fair enough) so she asked others. A member of staff said it was a full test as it had left the station, I raised that it was sub 10 days so irrelevant, then it was because of a Spring because that was what the wall said (MOT Rules), when I explained that was for free retests they continually fobbed it off.

I am pretty sure they are wrong, and an MOT tester has said the same thing, does anyone else know anything definitive, should the bulb have been checked?

They are just finding any way to get money out of you. I used to take cars to Halfrauds for MOT's many many years ago before I learned better.
Cars would always fail on something like headlamp alignment or emissions which you would pay extra to get done.
Then one year my 1.6 petrol Astra failed on emissions. I paid to have it sorted which they said was an adjustment on the carburetor . When I got it back home I checked. There was only 1 adjustment on the car for mixture and that was protected by a red plastic anti tamper plug.
You couldn't get this plug out without wrecking it, so they hadn't done anything . That was the last time I went there.
I then started taking cars to the local Bus depot who did MOT's and had many years of much better service and cars that passed.