LED's, HiDs, Xenon

Ianski68

Reaction score
ok. I know I have been talking about lights and lamp units recently and I guess for the Audi aficionados you may be about to pass out with boredom but I am a noob. So what is the difference between the 3 I have mentioned. Which can be used as a straight swap and which need additional gizmos. Seen some stuff and people are changing shiz in the lamp assembly's.

HID and Xenon are one of the same. A major mod that needs new headlight units as the fittings are are different, you'll also need ballast resistors and the associated cabling. You can pay up to £800 for genuine Audi kits or £500 for aftermarket kits. There are now LED headlights available on new cars but I don't think any kits for older A/S3's.
Sidelights, number plate lights and interior lamps are all easily interchangeable with LED versions that have the same mountings. T8ups of EM Tuning has all the versions of bulbs and conversions for our cars and are tried and tested bulbs. There are some cheaper LED's on Ebay but not all are compatable with the canbus system on our Audis. Easiest and most pleasing upgrade I have done is the interior bulbs, which give out a nice bright white light.

What is Cree?

here one answer chap,
The Cree (historical autonym: Nēhiraw; French: cri) are one of the largest groups of First Nations in North America, with over 200,000 members living in Canada. The major proportion of Cree in Canada live north and west of Lake Superior, in Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and the Northwest Territories. About 38,000 live in Quebec.

In the United States, this Algonquian-speaking people historically lived from Lake Superior westward. Today, they live mostly in Montana, where they share a reservation with the Ojibwe (Chippewa).

The documented westward migration over time has been strongly associated with their roles as traders and hunters in the North American Fur Trade.

lol....but i think you may mean this,

Cree, Inc. is a multinational manufacturer of semiconductor light-emitting diode (LED) materials and devices, with its headquarters in Durham, North Carolina. Most of its products are based on silicon carbide.

Cree was formed in 1987 by researchers from North Carolina State University.

In 2005, Cree opened a subsidiary, Cree ****-Pacific Ltd., in Hong Kong.[4][5] In March 2007, Cree acquired Cotco Luminant Device Ltd of Hong Kong, a supplier of high brightness LEDs in China, for $200 million.[6]In 2009, Cree announced an agreement to purchase a 592,000-square-foot (55,000 m2) facility in Huizhou, Guangdong Province, China, Cree’s first chip production facility outside of North America.[7] Also in 2009, Cree announced an expansion at its Durham plant.

On February 8, 2012, Cree announced the XLamp XT-E, which they said delivers twice as much light for the same price as older LEDs.[9] In October 2013, Cree's first consumer products, two household LED bulbs qualified for Energy Star rating by the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

Competing companies in the LED industry include Bridgelux, Inc, Nichia Corporation, Osram Opto Semiconductors, General Electric, and Philips Lumileds Lighting Company. Cree has 10% of the North American market.

Well, you can't get a more comprehensive answer than ^^^^^^that^^^^^^:respekt:

Dude, you have far to much spare time on your hands. You should come and remove my bumper for mr. Lol.

making the most of what free time i have left from the xmas hols, back to the normal daily drudge of work tommorow......you should have ask me last week mate , i would have gladly helped you out no probs.....

I think it would be best if you paid a garage to do it - you don't seem keen to have a go.
The question is, it is worth it?

making the most of what free time i have left from the xmas hols, back to the normal daily drudge of work tommorow......you should have ask me last week mate , i would have gladly helped you out no probs.....

Mate I am kidding. All good. When the time comes it will not be a prob.

I think it would be best if you paid a garage to do it - you don't seem keen to have a go.
The question is, it is worth it?

Dude. Shouldn't take all posts too seriously. I can pull the bumper off with one hand tied behind my back. Just a little banter.

Reactions: WozzaAK
with one hand behind your back , oh er, now thats real skill chap.....lol

Reactions: WozzaAK
Hello Ianski68,

Also, what's worth considering is simply a cheap and chearful alternative to OEM Hid's.

This means that instead of spending the said amount above on the factory HID's (Xenons) you could by them off Ebay. (Just £20!)

I concede, It will never be as good as the official Audi HID's however I love mine and they are very easy to install.

I have 6000k which is a colour temperature of ice white with an ever so slight tint of blue.

Let us know if you need anymore help.

Dan.