LY5L Paint Query

bkr

Reaction score
Hi there, I wondered if any of you can help please?

Ive a 98 Audi A4 B5 with the dark blue LY5L paint code, and as isnt common - my front wing arch is bubbling up like a good'un.

Im hoping to rub back to steel, and build up with a nice base coat etc.. finishing with some LY5L but as its all new to me I wondered if any of you more experience folk could steer me to the best outlet, either physical shop or online retailer. Ive hit a bit of a wall.

Many thanks in advance, J

(shouts to Spartacus68 for his previous advice on correct methods)

find a local paint shop, they'll mix it up for you.

failing that, paints4u online will sell you a can mixed up in the right color.

Better going into a local shop thogh, as they're usually pretty helpful and will ensure you've got the right primers and laquers etc.

Supertune automotive and there not bad on price, got a litre of LZ9U pearl paint mixed for £12

Thats excellent, thank you both for the heads up there - Ill look into those.

Ignore the 150ml spray cans from main dealer. The spray pattern is poor and is just about enough for touch-up only.

I used Brighton Autopaint for my paint. These are supplied in 400ml cans, and colour-match was fantastic. Allow at least two cans if you're doing both wings. http://www.autopaintsbrighton.co.uk...int-400ml-using-vehicle-colour-code-563-p.asp

For bare metal, and given the time of year, then you'll need to work in a garage with decent ambient heating and low humidity. Good ventilation is essential. Remove inner plastic wheel liner and the trim on the lower sill and side-repeater for best finish.

Scrape off the worst of the rust, and work your way through various grades of wet and dry 3M sandpaper. You can use a rotary wire brush for pitted metal and filler to smooth off. Once all imperfections have been treated with a rust inhibitor such as Krust or Jenolite, clean the wing with degrease wipes. Bare metal will require an acid etch primer. I then used 2-3 coats of zinc primer. You need to get under the lip of the wing, as this is where the problem starts.

Once final coats of primer have been applied, and you've used a final fine paper, wash the panel and final degrease. Colour coat can now be applied, allowing at least 30-40 minutes between coats. Use very light coats and build up. After final colour coat is applied, before it dries, apply the clear coat lacquer so the paint adheres. Do this on subsequent coats, again allowing 20 minutes or so between coats.

In my experience, the rust will come back, but unless you opt for new VAG wings (not pattern parts) and use professional 2k paint and bake, then it's about all you can do.

Thanks for taking the time to write that out Spartacus, much appreciated & a big help! :)

Ill print that off as a reference when I have the paint etc.. should be able to use the unit at work over a weekend & make good headway.