A4 1.9tdi project

Quattro-matty

Reaction score
Hello all I have an a4 b6 avant 1.9tdi it's rough on the edges and got quite a lot of miles on but didn't pay that much for it and I also have another avant but quattro as my daily car which I was going to do a turbo upgrade etc but circumstances have change now that baby is on his way. So I thought I will make use of the other one I have and still have a practical car to use.
So I bought a new turbo for it the other day I got a gt2052v picked it up for £145 and it's not that old. For the not many posts I've seen about this turbo there's a few variations of it and from what I've seen there's only one you can clock to fit under the manifold so it looks stock but the one I have I Carnt clock it so it's goin to be mounted above the manifold. So I set away tonight stripping everything down I didn't manage to get any photos of the car as my phone went flat but I got one if the turbos old vs new just for comparison and there is quite a size difference.

I will get some photos of what it looks like tomorrow. But for now I stripped all the ac pipes and ac radiator out of the engine bay and I might be removing the ac pump to. I started stripping the intercooler pipes but didn't finish it so hopefully if the other half let me I will be back in the garage tomorrow and finish removing the old intercooler. I already have a fmic and half of my custom stainless pipe work I have made to go on just need a bit more time to finish them off. I will be ordering some more steel for the exhaust soon not sure weather to do stainless or mild as I did a full turbo back stainless on my quattro. Here's some pictures of some of my pipe work upto now.

I tig welded all the pipe work and fully purged it. I also did my mates pipe work for his a4 he is on audisport aswel (dale86). That's all I've got for now until I order a flange for the turbo and a flange for the manifold so I can get the turbo mounted. I was going to make a tubular manifold but i might save doing that for another day.
It will be a slow project but I will be in the garage whenever I get spare time.

Reactions: Greeny233
Hi, i suggest you change your choice of turbo, it's really old technology. I would not go older than 10 year technology as the impeller design and materials used have gone a long way since the gt2052v has designed... A good choice of turbo is gtb2056vl, it's the best journal bearing that one can put on a 1.9 or 2.0 tdi...nice welds there, what tig welder you're using ?

Reactions: Andrew@A.L.D
Thanks @adamss24 but with money been more concentrated towards house and baby atm I thought I would stick with that for now I was looking at others but that was cheap and not long been re-con'd. What's the gtb2056vl of? Thanks about the welds. I used a little portable thermal arc 175 it's ideal for what I need it's only a dc set but have been looking to buy an ac-dc set. I normally use either miller or lincolnelectrics at work but there's a huge price difference in them

Gtb2056vl is off the volvo d5 engine, some have integral manifold, some are separate...i would go for the one with integral manifold as they are cheaper and i would weld a t25 flange which makes them easy to fit on most manifolds. Alternately you could look for a gtb2056vk off the 2.7 tdi audi a6, not as cheap but easy to mount as well. You will have to clock the turbo to suit and shorten the vnt arm and convert it to vacuum.
I used to have a thermal arc ta202 and now i have a lincoln invertec acdc welder. I would save money and buy the ta202acdc, it really welds as good as the lincoln electric i have now !

Thanks that's great @adamss24. I will just concentrate with this turbo for now then save up and buy another maybes the 2056vk? Or would you suggest the 2056vl? I'm not to concerned about the fabrication side as that's my job. But I am thinking if making my own tubular manifold so that maybe a good thing if I'm going to get one of them turbos. I will have to have a look at the ta202. By any chance do you or anybody else got a diagram for the vacuum pipes? Thanks

Thanks that's great @adamss24. I will just concentrate with this turbo for now then save up and buy another maybes the 2056vk? Or would you suggest the 2056vl? I'm not to concerned about the fabrication side as that's my job. But I am thinking if making my own tubular manifold so that maybe a good thing if I'm going to get one of them turbos. I will have to have a look at the ta202. By any chance do you or anybody else got a diagram for the vacuum pipes? Thanks
The 1st thing i do to the gt2052v is to take the turbine wheel and compressor wheel out, swap a new VNT ring and use new turbine from a more potent turbo and a 60mm compressor wheel from the gtb2260vk turbocharger. Ideally i start with a new turbo altogether but what do I know ? I wave been doing tuning for only 10-15 years...

Thanks @adamss24 I will ring turbo solutions up today and get a price. I'm not saying you don't know anything. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am grateful for your replies and help. When I read up about the gtb2260vk on a 1.9tdi a lot of people where saying there was a lot of lag from that turbo? I'm unsure if you've had any experience with that turbo? I'm grateful for your help and replies cheers

very nice welding dude.

Reactions: Quattro-matty
Hi dude, i use the turbine wheel from a gt2056v turbocharger, it's off the mercedes 320 cdi but i swap the compressor wheel to a 60mm wheel from a gtb2260vk turbo then it's all sent to be balanced on a schenk machine !
The gt2056v is a later tech turbo with twin ring turbine and different trim and I 's able to do 300 Bhp on a t's native engine with just a remap !

Thanks @adamss24 I tried ringing a turbo place near me the other day but with it been the holidays they where shut. But a little update over the past few days I managed to get the turbo mounted, intercooler mounted, all the interior is stripped and also removed roof bars, removed all the ac pipes and ac pump. I ordered some more silicone hoses today and some new silicone vacuum pipes from autosiliconehoses. Just need to order my air filter now. I'm back at work on Monday so I'm going to make some heat shield up to fit around the turbo and to bolt on to the intake manifold. I've also ordered a boost gauge, water temp and egt gauge. So hopefully they will turn up next week. I need to go and get some mandrel bends for the exhaust and I can get that sorted this week hopefully. I also need to order a new oil feed and return pipe but unsure what thread size they are but hopefully I'm going to a shop next week and they can tell me then I can get some pipe and fixings ordered.

Turbo mounted I will get some pictures of my up pipe I've made to bolt onto the manifold

When I read up about the gtb2260vk on a 1.9tdi a lot of people where saying there was a lot of lag from that turbo? I'm unsure if you've had any experience with that turbo? I'm grateful for your help and replies cheers
Hi, seen this a big too late, yes, i Used the gtb2260vk on many projects mainly on v6 tdi and I have no issues spooling that, however I find the gtb 2260vk too Laggy on a 1.9tdi hence suggesting a gtb2056vl...spools instantly with no surge and will support 250bhp reliably!

Thanks @adamss24 I will look at them as I'm wanting to make a tubular manifold so that could be my next thing making the manifold for that turbo. Another quick question the egt sensor I have bought for it where would you say to mount it as I've seen people put it in the manifold and I've also seen others put it just after the turbo on their down pipe? If it's on the manifold I could use the Egr port and make a blanking plate and weld a boss into it then put the probe in there. Cheers

Egr port is the ideal spot for egt probe...

Reactions: Quattro-matty
Update time, so today I received a parcel from autosiliconehoses with some new vacuum pipe, reducer from turbo to maf and some clips

I also made some heat sheilds to bolt onto the turbo and on to the intake along with a blanking plate for the manifold and for the egt sensor to fasten in.

I'm going to find out what threads the oil feed and return fittings are tomorrow and then get some braided hose and fittings ordered. Also a question for anybody that has done this I know the intake manifold gets a bit blocked over time so I'm going to soak it in diesel or whatever but the intake ports on the head are caked in old oil and whatever else so I've had a screw driver in scraping it out but I was wondering if there's any easier way to get it out?

This is what the inside looks like upto now. Maybe some brake cleaner and lots of rags? I should be back in the garage tomorrow and be able to get some more done

Ok so a little update. I managed to sort the vacuum pipes out and got rid of the Egr solenoid and anti shudder one and just ran the n75 with the vacuum ball. I replaced the old vacuum lines with some new red silicon vacuum lines. I finished making my plate to mount my gauges. My mate should be coming today to wire them all in hopefully. I received my egt sensor and gauge yesterday. I welded my pipe that mounts to the turbo then I went and got the faces of the flanges machined down flat as they warped quite a bit. I connected the new oil feed line and oil return I could probably do with buying a new return though as mine is a little bit short but still fits the turbo but it's really tight. So I managed to get the turbo and intake bolted on last night and fired it over. I was shocked how it fired first time as before I started working on the car it used to take me 5-10minutes just to fire it over and half the time I used easy start. I'm going to get some mandrel bends today so I can make a start on the exhaust I'm just making it out of mild steel as it's cheaper than stainless.

I've tried uploading a video of the car first starting but it's not letting me upload it. Anyone know how else to do it? Thanks

You can upload it on photobucket and post the link over here then we can click on it and watch it !

Ok so between yesterday and today I managed to get my gauges wired in all I need now is a t-piece for my water temp sensor. I bought some pipe, mandrel bend and a flexi so I can make a start on the exhaust sometime this week. I would of made a full stainless system like what I made for my other a4 but mild is cheaper. And I also bought some hi temp paint from halfords and I pained the cold side of the turbo red to match all my silicone hoses. I also need to get rid of the old interior and other bits I've stripped as I'm sick of tripping over in the garage.

Reactions: krs187uk and Greeny233
Not much of an update but I've done a bit more on the car today I managed to fab up the down pipe just need to fully weld it

I also mounted my filter and got some measurements so I can finish my intercooler pipe work to

Reactions: BigCat and Jimmy TDI
That Feed pipe to the turbo is very, very low, make sure you don't drive trough puddles of water, you will hydro lock the engine...

If you left the turbo in the stock position/orientation then it would be possible for you to fit a silicone TIP and have the filter in the stock location ! It's a bit late now...

Well a little update I've managed to tint all the rear windows to 5% they turned out better than I thought apart from the rear window that was a nightmare still thinking about getting someone to come and do it professionally. All the front suspension arms are stripped ready for new ones to be fitted. Finally got the exhaust all sorted so it's now straight through and probably got rid of about 10-15kg of un wanted weight of the back boxes. I also received another delivery from autosiliconehoses with another silicone hose and mandrel bend so I can start to get my intercooler pipe work finished. I've also ordered new antiroll bar bushes and going to order some new top mounts for when I rebuild the suspension. I know some one will mention about the horrible rusty wings but that's for a later date for when the car gets re painted

Reactions: A4hybrid and Welshquattro