Difference between S-Line & Black Edition?

Dannymoto

Reaction score
Currently got 2006 A3 S-Line and thinking about upgrading to 2011 black edition 2.0 diesel.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? E.g. Standard features, engine etc

Below my current car:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450814833181400

Is there anything I need to look out for when test driving/ looking around the black edition? Such as common problems?

It's still a 8P A3 so same issues across the board.

Yes, the diesel engines in the 8P3 (apart from the 1.9 TDIe) are common rail.

As standard over a standard S-line;

View attachment 75259

The spec of 'black edition' did change over time as far as I know.

For example, mine didn't have bluetooth or RNS-E as standard. Same with the wheels, the Rotors are standard from 11 plate onwards if I remember correctly, mine didn't have rotors.

The spec of 'black edition' did change over time as far as I know.

For example, mine didn't have bluetooth or RNS-E as standard. Same with the wheels, the Rotors are standard from 11 plate onwards if I remember correctly, mine didn't have rotors.
The one I'm looking at doesn't have the RSN-E. But has the rotors. Do they have a DPF?

Around 2500 RPM in 4th gear.
Haven't had the DPF light come up yet, I do mostly town driving but once a week I take the motorway route to work and I believe the car starts the regen process once all the right parameters are in place, i.e. exhaust temperature etc.

Edit: Also, you will know when the car is 'asking' or is in process of a regen, the revs at idle will be slighly higher than norm, start/stop system will temporarily cease and DIS will indicate downshifting a gear more sooner than normal.

Last edited:
Around 2500 RPM in 4th gear.
Haven't had the DPF light come up yet, I do mostly town driving but once a week I take the motorway route to work and I believe the car starts the regen process once all the right parameters are in place, i.e. exhaust temperature etc.

Edit: Also, you will know when the car is 'asking' or is in process of a regen, the revs at idle will be slighly higher than norm, start/stop system will temporarily cease and DIS will indicate downshifting a gear more sooner than normal.
Ah I see thanks for your help.

As @articuno88 says, they do have DPF.

Go for 5 door and DSG and if you can 2010 or newer. Avoids the oil pump hex key issue in most cases ;)

each to their own but the worst combination in my opinion lol...I'd go for sportback even if I didn't need the extra doors just for the rear lights haha!
All entitled to our own opinion :) anything I need to check on the car at all other than the usual things?

I prefer 3 door and I do like manual :D

Donno about what to check on a diesel, Gave that up long ago haha :p Goodluck with the car though!

All entitled to our own opinion :) anything I need to check on the car at all other than the usual things?

Usual stuff, service/MOT mileages tally up. Rust on front wheel arches, rear wash/wipe works, washer bottle not leaking, all door locks work ermmm that's it to be honest :)

Usual stuff, service/MOT mileages tally up. Rust on front wheel arches, rear wash/wipe works, washer bottle not leaking, all door locks work ermmm that's it to be honest :)
Brilliant! Anything I find I'll try get them to sort!

Oh and cam belt and water pump before I forget...check for clutch/flywheel judder and that the turbo is boosting properly.
What mileage should it be done at? Car is on 50k.

Will also check those too and make sure no siren from the turbo!