S3: replacing 702N type of turbo as a precaution?

Jukke09

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new and was thinking of putting this question in the S3 8V tuning thread, but then again, it's maybe nice to be a seperate topic as many cars build before october 2014 are involved.

So here I go.
I was reading a lot about tuning the new EA888 3th gen engine of my S3 and came on this link a long time ago:
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...on-cupra-developing-turbo-problems-84773.html

I went to a local tuning company and they confirmed that they had seen 2 blown turbos (Belgium).
With that information in mind I went to my local dealership to hear if there were any recalls, but they send me home with the message that "there were no known problems with my type of turbo, type 702N. Only rumours, don't believe what they tell you on forums, enjoy your car."
They also told me that I could buy some insurrance for about 2200euro for an extra 3 years of warranty. I thanked for that.

As I would like some extra ponies under the bonnet, I started thinking what to do.

Getting a good performed stage 1 tune, was my first option but I'm too chicken to take the risk to blow some parts of my turbo into the engine and brake the engine. So a 800 euro tune would end in a 10000 euro engine replacement cost (worst case scenario).

Now I'm thinking to let the turbo engineers make a TTE400 of my 15k km old turbo and then get a individual tune on this setup.
I think they reuse only the housing of the turbo and replace everything else and make it stronger and more reliable.

Has anyone else thought of this option too?
Except from Oettinger 400bhp package, I've seen no results of this TTE400. Seems like Oettinger don't add any other parts on their setup and make 500Nm (368 lb-ft) of torque and 400bhp with this turbo alone. If you look at their price tag of 7690 euro, you might think they add a downpipe and air intake too, but they don't mention it at their product page.

I discussed with my tuner about this setup (TTE400), and told him that I had only a budget for the reconditioning of my old turbo with a decent tune and a forge divertor valve. This work would cost me about 3000 euros and price is what I expected. Reconditioning would take about 20 days. So lets say, 1 month whitout a second car.

So I don't want to spend money on:
1) intercooler (forge - 910 euros)
2) cold air intake (CTS - 450euros)
3) down pipe with cat and CE registration papers (Milltek - 2000euros )
4) catback with CE registration papers (Milltek - 2200euros)
5) better clutch (Sachs - 670 euros)
If I had the money for all these parts, I'd walk the TTE450 or even TTE5xx route.

I would ask for a safe tune, but is this the path to walk, I don't know? 3000euro for a safe stage 1 tune with a "better turbo" that doesn't run at its full potential (TTE400 430+PS capable)...

Maybe I end op buying a 722N type of turbo and get it installed at the dealership for about 1500euro and get it tuned or even do nothing at all.

Aaaaaah, it's a great car, but it has the potential to be so much better (I read that on this forum).
I'd just like a bit of discussion about the faulty turbo 702N and what to do about it, and about it's replacement by a TTE400 one.

Greetings from Belgium ;-)