MrSingh2U's Deathtrap.. I mean S3

mrsingh2u

Reaction score
Hi all.. I thought it was high time that I actually created my own thread on here to document my S3's build. I've been lurking around the forum since June, bought an S3 in July..

So, here the story goes...

I used to have a Nissan Almera GTi - got a little on the rusty side.. My old man didn't like it, so he forced me to take it off the road, to which point, he even offered to buy me a new car!

I would have loved to take up the offer, but the cars he had in mind were not anywhere close to similar in terms of power/torque, so we just agreed to disagree.

Luckily (for me anyway) we had a Mercedes C320 sitting on the driveway, having had it declared SORN for over a year, so we all decided that I could drive it!

A year or so goes by, I got very bored of the fact that it was an Automatic... Along comes my cousin with a bright idea... He'd seen an S3 on ebay that he thought was worth a look.. Now, it was untidy, scratches and scrapes all over the place.. But it had, to some degree, been prepped for the track.

We went to go and check it out, and I ended up with an S3!!

Here's some pics of how it was when I bought it:

I've made a few changes to it - Facelift headlights, a seat rail that allows me to move the drivers seat forward and back, a Badger5 TIP, took a Forge Splitter off and replaced it with a Genuine Recirc. valve and some other small little bits and bobs..

I've had my fair share of little problems though - overfuelling, occasional random misfires etc, so I got some bits to help me along with fault finding! More to come!!

Reactions: Nilz, StaceyS3 and IPG
From Newcastle??? I bought the int out this and put it in my 1st s3..

Pretty nice wen I last seen it the guy had stripped it ready for the track and then goosed the engine after.. Was it you that rebulit it mate

Im down in London mate..

It doesnt have a cage, just has no interior..

I bought it how it is, running and driving!

Oh wrong 1 lol.

I took the int out the same coulor car and put it in a black un..
Looked nice a black s3 with blck/yellow interior

Ah i see!! Fair play! I've grown accustomed to no carpets n buckets lol. Thankfully, still have the Merc to ferry passengers around

Reactions: S3-LINCS
So a few updates to bring this thread to how the car currently is..

Spec as it is at the moment:
  • Badger5 TIP
  • S2000 Air Filter
  • FMIC
  • LCR Front Brakes
  • Yokohama A008 tyres
  • Sports Cat (apparently)
  • FIS Control Unit
A couple of issues currently - It has a binding nearside rear brake caliper, which should hopefully be easily fixable.

Its drinking fuel like mad for a stock mapped car - smells like a petrol refinery when the car is running.. I haven't had a chance to get it up on a ramp to check fuel lines, but it's running so rich that I don't this will go through the emissions test on an MOT.

I also had an issue after I fitted the TIP, where the car was struggling to rev past 5000 RPM and the needle on my boost gauge was all over the place!

Ripped off the Forge Splitter that was fitted, fitted a genuine recirculation valve. Made no difference! Back to the drawing board..

While I was at it, I thought that I would change the hose that went from the charge pipe to the recirc valve, with a silicon item from Forge.. Frustratingly, it doesnt come by itself, it has both the hoses coming off the Charge Pipe.. bought it, changed the hoses..

When changing the hose to the N75, I realised there was a kink in the pipe that goes from the N75 to the TIP! Rerouted the hoses and relocated the N75, and everything was good in the world of boost!!

The Dash also needed swapping out as it didnt have a display in the centre, so did that, coded it using VCDS, in order for me to be able to see what this could do:

****** love it!!

I then went ahead and ordered one of these:

The PLX has a Bosch Wideband Lambda sensor (my S3 is an APY engine - has a narrowband lambda) and is apparently a decent bit of kit, also got a good bit of discount since I asked a Race Engine Designer to phone up the company and blag a deal out of them!

Decided last night that i would have a quick test of the wideband to make sure it survived the rigours of postage and idiot delivery people:

Oh, and some food for thought:

Reactions: xpoweruk, Nilz, S3-LINCS and 1 other person
Quick question for the Audi Gurus on here - are the suspensions for the 8L and the 8N TT interchangeable?

Little update on the car.. It has developed a habit of ingesting water at a rather alarming rate, and offloading power steering fluid at a slower rate lol...

I took my car to the garage where I previously worked during last weekend, gave it an oil change, but as its so low, getting onto and off the ramp was a rather buttclenching experience, since all I heard was the underside of the car scraping as I came up onto it(4 Poster Ramp!).. Here, I think one of the clips on the hose that goes to the Power Steering cooler pipe has snagged on it and torn the hose.

While the car was up in the air, I noticed a small dribble of water coming from the bulkhead and under a heatsheild, before promptly dripping down the back of my neck! the real question is, does anyone know where the hoses to the heater matrix go through the bulkhead? I have a sneaking suspicion that is the issue. It only happens when the Coolant System is pressurised by the looks of it as well..

I did want to fit the Forge Motorsport Silicone coolant hose kit at some point this summer, since the car is 15 odd years old and the hoses etc perish, but I think this issue will accelerate my urgency to sorting this, as it seems to empty the expansion tank rather quickly, hence, I've had to stop driving the car altogether now!

I lost 2 litres of coolant recently, through a perished O-ring of the hose coupling to the heater matrix. Before it went, I was losing a litre of coolant a month. Since it's been fixed, I've not lost any.

On my LHD A3 (not sure how similar it is to your car), the heater matrix pipes go through the bulkhead in the top middle area. It is attached with two 90 degree couplers. One of those leaked on mine.

Good luck with your issue.

Reactions: Mav190sline and mrsingh2u
I lost 2 litres of coolant recently, through a perished O-ring of the hose coupling to the heater matrix. Before it went, I was losing a litre of coolant a month. Since it's been fixed, I've not lost any.

On my LHD A3 (not sure how similar it is to your car), the heater matrix pipes go through the bulkhead in the top middle area. It is attached with two 90 degree couplers. One of those leaked on mine.

Good luck with your issue.
I'll have a look into it!! Was it just the O-ring that you ended up replacing?

Nope, stealers only sold coupling as a whole. Luckily werent crazy expensive

Reactions: mrsingh2u
another quick question for all of you very knowledgeable guys and girls...

EPC light came on, was getting very minimal throttle, no boost.. scanned with VCDS - the fault was the Accelerator position sensor.

read the part number off the pedal, toddled off to the breakers, got another one and fitted it.

cleared the codes, but now, it has an erratic idle - sometimes sits at 880 rpm, but mostly between 900 and 1400 revs. if i give the pedal a quick tug with my foot, it instantly goes back down to 880...

has anyone else experienced this and is there any fix(apart from getting a new pedal from the stealers)?