Power up Dash on bench

norad97

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to power up a dash using a power supply, I have a spare dash to play with so I wont damage the one
in the car.
I found the pinouts on a site and what they do, but if you no a good pinout reference let me know.
I am trying to fix my DIS, I know Argon advised get another working dash, but I want to fix mine, I have the ribbon cable and just need to line it on the display, no easy without it powered.

Is my A4 1.8T Sport 1997 with DIS that is not soldered to the pcb. if it was I would replaced it by now.

Hmm, i certainly wouldnt go poking the ribbon cable around on a live cluster, your likely to just short things out and damage them.

I've got the plugs from a scrap car, and just wire them up to a 12v bench supply or "wall wart"

What exactly is the issue? If you've got a spare cluster, why not just fit that to your car? I dont understand why your making this so difficult?

I've replaced a few DIS's now on the later clusters, usually use hot air to desolder, but the early ones simply dont seem to fail.

Hmm, i certainly wouldnt go poking the ribbon cable around on a live cluster, your likely to just short things out and damage them.

I've got the plugs from a scrap car, and just wire them up to a 12v bench supply or "wall wart"

What exactly is the issue? If you've got a spare cluster, why not just fit that to your car? I dont understand why your making this so difficult?

I've replaced a few DIS's now on the later clusters, usually use hot air to desolder, but the early ones simply dont seem to fail.

That'll be electronics using proper 60/40 solder then, instead of the unleaded ***** the EU mandated since the early 2000s

possibly, i think its possibly the ribbon cable that breaks on the later ones, the early type has a different ribbon arrangement.

Hi aragorn, thanks for the info on powering dash on bench, I have used 4 power and 2 grounds, I only get the DIS lighting up,
no dash lights, I think the clock works. Is there a another pin I need?

you've probably missed a power or a ground somewhere.

What wires have you connected up, i'll cross reference them?

This is from the email i received, and wired as below.
Terminal 15 and 30 are live, terminal 31 is ground.

I've looked thru but cant find anything other than what i've already given you.

All i can suggest is to check that you've identified the pin numbers correctly.

I will check again, If looking at the pictures of the connectors, the yellow connector pin 1 is bottom right, so looking at the blue connector
pin 1 is bottom right. do you agree?

not sure, its usually written on the plastic connector housing. Also sometimes the pin numbers will run down one side, sometimes the zigzag, so have a close look and see what it says.