Tyre pressures?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
The A6 is quite to sensitive to tyre pressures I have noticed.

I had my tyre pressure warning come on last week with the inlaws in the car whilst on the M6, but I didn't think much of it and made my way home for the remaining 20 miles. Checked my tyre pressure, and they was all low by a couple of PSI, apart from the front driverside, which had a puncture repair 3 weeks back, and that was down by 3PSI, so the system works I guess. I put the drop in tyre pressure down to the colder weather we've been having, but anyways. I pumped them upto what I'm comfortable with, which is 32PSI fronts and 34PSI rears, and suddenly the car is riding overly firm, it's lost it's ride comfort! :(
The stick on the car states 36PSI all round, why such a high pressure? I understand the A6 is a heavy car, but it's not that much heavier than the Passat Estate I replaced it with.

Do you guys run factory tyre pressures?

I've certainly had the occasional alarm and found the pressures little different to normal.
I run my car (A6 Avant 2012 S-line 3.0 TDI) as per the numbers on the door, 35F and 32R, and that seems to suit it OK, one or two up. Did a long trip recently 4-up plus luggage, looked at the door which suggested 38F and 41R, thought that would make the ride too hard to did 37 all round. Ride was OK but the handling was definitely out, much more pronounced understeer than normal, and I was glad to put it back to 35/32 when I got home.
The car's handling does seem to be quite sensitive to tyre pressures. Reminds me of my much loved 1997 Saab 9000, long gone now, it was a beautifully balanced car and you could change the handling quite markedly by fiddling with the pressures.

Reactions: jojo
I've certainly had the occasional alarm and found the pressures little different to normal.
I run my car (A6 Avant 2012 S-line 3.0 TDI) as per the numbers on the door, 35F and 32R, and that seems to suit it OK, one or two up. Did a long trip recently 4-up plus luggage, looked at the door which suggested 38F and 41R, thought that would make the ride too hard to did 37 all round. Ride was OK but the handling was definitely out, much more pronounced understeer than normal, and I was glad to put it back to 35/32 when I got home.
The car's handling does seem to be quite sensitive to tyre pressures. Reminds me of my much loved 1997 Saab 9000, long gone now, it was a beautifully balanced car and you could change the handling quite markedly by fiddling with the pressures.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

I carry approx 250kgs of stock twice a week, so I run higher rear pressures, I may drop it 1PSI all round to see how I get on?

Got new winter tyres last week and thought they felt a bit 'floaty'. Checked when I got home and they were 42psi all round! Dropped it to 40 f and 38 r but will drop it again to 38 and 36 this week as it still feels too hard.

What are you going to do with the elastic band like tyres when you goto 20 inch rims ? Lower tyre pressure will give you more flex in the sidewall so will absorb the bumps better but you know that. Lower tyre pressure creates more rolling resistance though, and heat in the sidewalls.
The Audi will be a good deal heavier in the front than the Passat having a 3.0 V6 engine and a nice big auto box.
36PSI doesn't sound like a lot of pressure to me what did you used to run in the Passat ?.
Looking at the tyre pressures recommended on www.michelin.co.uk on 20 inch 255/35/20 tyres it says normal loading 39F , 36R and Laden 43F and 48R . I should get yourself a cushion to sit on when you fit the 20's.

What are you going to do with the elastic band like tyres when you goto 20 inch rims ? Lower tyre pressure will give you more flex in the sidewall so will absorb the bumps better but you know that. Lower tyre pressure creates more rolling resistance though, and heat in the sidewalls.
The Audi will be a good deal heavier in the front than the Passat having a 3.0 V6 engine and a nice big auto box.
36PSI doesn't sound like a lot of pressure to me what did you used to run in the Passat ?.
Looking at the tyre pressures recommended on www.michelin.co.uk on 20 inch 255/35/20 tyres it says normal loading 39F , 36R and Laden 43F and 48R . I should get yourself a cushion to sit on when you fit the 20's.
Just seems a mad amount to what I'm use to, Passat I ran 31/32 front, 33/34 rear with 18" wheels, never had an issue.

The A6 comfort is very tyre pressure sensitive. The tyre pressure sensors themselves are not. It takes quite a drop in pressure to trigger them so if they go off, it is not temperature related.

On 20" wheels you will need to run higher pressures which is also reason why they get reviewed as less comfortable.

Just a quick update, I ran 32F and 34R for approx 1k miles, and the car was very uncomfortable changing direction, like the car was rocking from side to side, to the point I was getting a sore neck! It was like the anti roll bars was working overtime to keep the car in check! I have since upped the fronts to 36PSI, what a huge difference this has made to the handling! Kept the rears at 34 for ride comfort, but it's much more assured on turn in at the front, and the side to side rocking has been reduced!

Slowly but surely, I will get the correct balance I'm after.

I would think 36 is definately more in the ball park, with 32 psi in the fronts there isn´t enough air pressure to properly support the weight of the car hence all the sidewall flex you were probably getting. Might do a bit more to the gallon as well

im running 40 to 42 on the 20`s I run 38 on the 19`s on my S3 seems best for tyre wear etc

I'm also running 40F and 42R on 20's. No cushion required - nowhere near as harsh as my A4 Avant S-Line on 19's was - not that I had any problem with that either !

I would think 36 is definately more in the ball park, with 32 psi in the fronts there isn´t enough air pressure to properly support the weight of the car hence all the sidewall flex you were probably getting. Might do a bit more to the gallon as well
I will report back on the mpg later Karl. Was getting 29.5mpg driving like a sissy with the gearbox in economy mode. I have since switched back to normal drive mode and regularly switch to sport mode coming out of junctions in traffic. 28.5mpg! Lol. Fun vs economy, I'm taking fun all day long, especially as the penalty is basically nothing at 1mpg! The BiTdi likes to be driven swiftly.

Economy or Efficiency mode I find just plain dangerous!! A zombie has more life in it than the throttle response in that mode!!

I've always run my pressures a little higher than factory and always find my cars to have responded better

Also important to remember that those pressures are for the OEM factory fitted tyres, most of us don't continue with these so different tyre manufacturers will be more sensitive to different pressures. That's my experience anyway :)

I know its old topic but I would like to give small advise. On 255/35/r20 on A6 C7 avant 2.0tdi (190ps) 7 speed multitronic.

I went thru michelin website for tyre pressures and found out conclusion on motorway.

43psi on front is not enough..

43psi on rear is a bit to much (boot full loaded, family in car 3 people in total).

Front should be 44.5psi-45psi

Rear should be 42psi-42.5psi

For motorway. Driving car 70mph-120mph ending up with front tyres marked on sides (like with low pressure in tyre) when set to what michelin website says.
Where rear tyres looks overinflated with michelin tyre pressure recommendation.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

i run the factory amounts and it feels fine, i did increase for a fully ladden long journey, and it felt weird empty after, but that was running over 40 psi