Boost

michael A

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So thought i would start a thread on boost as it is something we all talk about and lets be honest we do love it.

Id like to know what boost people are running and with what setups ect.
What boost is safe.

I have an A3 1.8T 2000 just getting going now on the performance parts and getting power.
I bought my Audi a goode few months back now for not alot of money at all. It was owned by people that did not give it TLC and did any fixes on the cheap and what i call bodged them up. I have managed to get my car rescued and had all the problems and bodge jobs fixed now well last job today with ignition barrel changing. I also have my FMIC going on today which i purchased. When i had the car i was told it had a stage 1 remap and it was pushing 0.7bar on boost.
I was unsure if it had a remap i as did not see any paperwork (i got all the paperwork full history) and it had some boost leaks. When i fixed the boost leaks i also took the manual boost off as i was advised they were no good on the Audi.and take the car back to standard boost. I am now hitting 0.2bar on boost.
I was wondering what others are pushing on boost and with what they have done. I am just getting a few more parts fr the car before taking it for a stage 2 remap where i know it would be setup perfect. However 0.2bar i feel is not much and was wondering as i dont have a clue what boost people would say would be safe for a standard engine with just a front mount and exhaust.

Look forward to seeing what people have done with there a3s

cheers

Morning Mike :sign welcome:

Being a 2000, or car will be right on the change of 2 engine codes.

Do you know if it's an AGU or an AUM? You can tell this by whether or not it had a throttle cable.

This will determine what boost you could run with a map, and ultimately how much power you'll be able to make.

Stock boost should be around 0.4 bar. If it's only 0.2 then something is definitely not right.

If it's an AGU, then boost with a st1 map will be around 1-1.1 bar, dropping to about 0.5-0.6 at the redline. This will be somewhere between 180-190bhp typically.

If it's an AUM, stock boost will again be around 0.4 bar, but a st1 map will see you to a peak of ~1.3 bar, dropping to ~ 0.7 at the redline. Typically 200-210bhp on a healthy car.

Hi Prawn,

Many thanks for the reply, i beleive its AUM however i could be wrong will get that confirmed.
I do know of a few leaks although most i have fixed now.
When i first got the car i was told it had a st1 remap and it was pushing 0.7 bar. It was having some issues cutting out from boosting if let revs drop and a little juddery.
I took the boost controller off and fixed the main leaks. The car still runs well and it cuts out less but power is now only 0.2 bar 0.3 at max.
I was told to take off the boost control as they are apparently no good on the car however it did boost nice when it was on and i do feel the problems are down to boost leaks and possibly the maff rather than the boost control. However i did think that as i was not 100% sure it had a remap it would be safer to have back to standard until i have the money to remap myself plus a few extras like the FMIC and decat pipe however from the sounds of things i think 0.7 bar is still ok.
I might ask my mechanic to put the controller on again just to test since i do now have much less leaks.
So wish i had money to get everything done at once but sadly its going to be closer to summer before i have everything ready as im hoping to go for a st2 remap and of course before that going to need to other bits too.
Thanks for the advice though i will have words when im next at the garage and hopefully give it a test.

Is there anyway way of knowing if the car has had a remap other than seeing a receipt.