New Audi owner after advice - quattro droning noise

Jps3290

Reaction score
Hi.

Picked up a 26k miles 11 reg A3 quattro 170 tdi sline black editor yesterday after travelling from Durham to Glasgow for it from a dealership.

Took for quick test drive and everything spot on but I was in a built up area so never got over 40mph.

Anyway on way home i hit the motorway and at around 60mph in 5th or 6th...seems to be around 2k rpms their is a weird droning noise i think is coming from the rear. At first I thought maybe exhaust tone or quattro droning and ignore it but after 3 hrs it becomes annoying.

Been looking on here and their is mention of rear propshaft damper?
Is this normal with such low miles?

Will it suddenly give way and cause a breakdown or just get more annoying?

I'm going to phone dealer now as i have 2 months parts and labour warranty but I also took out 2 yrs extended warranty so I am praying it's covered and don't have to go back to Glasgow since they are a large national chain.

First Audi. Very impressed with the handling in the wet yesterday

Cheers

Welcome to the forum!

Does the drone go away after about 2.5k? That's what mine did when the propshaft damper was knackered.
No it won't give way or anything, my car was also like it when I bought it and it was over a year before I replaced it.

I think the mileage thing is just pot luck, some last a while, most don't. If you have a decent jack and axle stands you can check it yourself, just get right under the back of the car and try using your hand to move the outer ring in relation to the inner part. If it doesn't move it needs replacing.

Thanks for you reply.

To be honest i've not sure if it goes for certain after 2.5k but its definitely comes in quite suddenly around 2k and builds up. Not really gave the car a good blast yet due to the noise and didnt want to cause any damage.

I've been on to the salesman who sold me the car and they have been spot on. Car is booked in on Thursday at a local dealer near me with a freee courtesy car provided so hopefully they find the cause and get it fixed. No way would I imagine they can say this is 'normal' as you have to sit at 60 mph on the motorway to have a conversation lol. Anything faster and you get ear ache!!

If the weather clears up I may have a look underneath like you mention and give it a go. I have told the garage what I think it is and hopefully its a common well known problem but its not an Audi garage its going to so I'll try to catch a mechanic or someone when I drop it in.

I spent months and many pounds trying to sort droning noise on my 3.0 sport Quattro avant only to find out it was all due to my tyres even tho they were all matched and good tread. Down to the tyre pattern apparently on mine.

Unlucky lol I know its not my tyres because they do make a slight noise which I can hear and expect. This other noise literally starts at 2k and comes in loud and vibrates the rear of the car but the instant you take your foot off then accelerator it completely goes. Tap accelerator again and it's instantly droning once more.

I

Just an update. This is now fixed.

The problem was a cracked rear proshaft casing. Replaced under warranty and happy days :)

I know it was done under warranty but did they give you any idea of the normal cost of the repair? I've got the same problem on the same car

Yeah I asked and they ordered the part locally And I think he said something like £150 ish. No idea what labour would have been. He said Audi don't sell the part and they would have to buy the whole propshaft at over £900. Cars totally different now.