Induction Air Filter Intake Kit

Crazyxelite

Ash, Aldershot
Reaction score
hi everyone, i dont know much about cars so im sorry for that.
i ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-1...pe:1.6&hash=item5b1c365db5:g:eFQAAOSw~bFWGgvL

and i toke the air box from the car but theres two tubes one connect in the front of the car i toke it out and a small one goes to the back is this safe? my car is the 2002 model i dont know if that differ? because i dont see nothing about this in the instructions.
1.jpg

1.jpg

Yeah I saw that when I did the same to mine. I took it off and it didn't make a difference tbh it's some sort of vacuum line but I don't have a clue what for

Reactions: Crazyxelite
I also got the same filter and let me tell you something with these massively replicated air filters. If you're going to get one make sure it's cheap cos they really don't make a difference tbh I must have spent around 150- 200 on 3 different filters all doing the same thing cos there cheap replicas. Don't be fooled by eBay sellers

I am no expert but the common statement I have noticed on this forum is that the original air box is better for engine power, maybe with a cotton filter instead of paper, but having in engine bay cone filters just suck in hot air from the engine bay which is far less "volumatic" or whatever the correct term is. hence why on cold mornings the engines are usually more powerful because there is more air in the air when the air is cold.

Yeah I saw that when I did the same to mine. I took it off and it didn't make a difference tbh it's some sort of vacuum line but I don't have a clue what for

thanks for the reply i hope so i dont want to damage my engine it scared me a bit just leaving something there open.

I also got the same filter and let me tell you something with these massively replicated air filters. If you're going to get one make sure it's cheap cos they really don't make a difference tbh I must have spent around 150- 200 on 3 different filters all doing the same thing cos there cheap replicas. Don't be fooled by eBay sellers

its fine it was just £39 could be worse.

I am no expert but the common statement I have noticed on this forum is that the original air box is better for engine power, maybe with a cotton filter instead of paper, but having in engine bay cone filters just suck in hot air from the engine bay which is far less "volumatic" or whatever the correct term is. hence why on cold mornings the engines are usually more powerful because there is more air in the air when the air is cold.

i didnt know that but know i already spent money on it so i will try it anyway :)

I have seen some of the forum experts have them fitted but have a shield of sorts to inhibit the engine bay heated air going in.

as I said, I am only a beginner in "sporty cars" mine came with a CDA, which seems to me to be okay, but I have nothing to compare it to?

Your car is a 1.6 non turbo?
If so your car won't benefit from a open Foam filter in the engine bay.

You'd need a large, well designed intake locating the filter far from any heat to make any noticeable difference and even then they will be marginal.
Foam filters are also generally not as good at filtration as cotton gauze, and are also often oiled more than the Gulf of Mexico

On turbo cars, generally bigger is better with regards to inlet piping and filter size, and open cones don't matter in the bay because we have intercoolers to take car of temperatures (something people always overlook)

Your car is a 1.6 non turbo?
If so your car won't benefit from a open Foam filter in the engine bay.

You'd need a large, well designed intake locating the filter far from any heat to make any noticeable difference and even then they will be marginal.
Foam filters are also generally not as good at filtration as cotton gauze, and are also often oiled more than the Gulf of Mexico

On turbo cars, generally bigger is better with regards to inlet piping and filter size, and open cones don't matter in the bay because we have intercoolers to take car of temperatures (something people always overlook)
So that means that i just waste money?
oh man i should have asked first well i guess i finish installing this then if im not happy i put the stock again after some months

At least you will get a nice induction roar, it will sound faster if nothing else.

I have to assume you started in the right place, your car is a 1.6 right?
I guess the reason you have a spare pipe to connect, with nothing about in the instructions is because your car is 2002. The listing says 1996 - 2001. If it is anything like 2002 1.8T that extra pipe is for the SAI pump, all you will need is a little filter to stick on the end of it.
If the kit fits apart from that then all is good.

A foam filter is less of an issue for a NA car, not so good for a turbo car as it doesn't stop the ingress of very fine dust particles. Apart from sound of an open filter, the airbox may in fact make more power. Like Karl said, you will only get a power increase if the open filter is a far away from the engine as possible. And ideally with a direct air feed.

They are fantastic , but didn't add as much powerz as a Type R badge from Halfrauds .

Reactions: CSS3
I like the idea but cant speak from personal experience.
On my old NA car I adapted the air intake so it swept right down to the bottom of the front bumper and attached the twin cone air filter to it so the opening of the air filter was getting air straight into it. I have to say it made an enormous difference to the pick up, sooo much faster and freer revving than when the filter was right near the throttle body.