HELP - replaced key shell on my 2006 Audi A4 and car went to safe mofe

Hila

Reaction score
HELP - replaced key shell on my 2006 Audi A4 and car went to safe mofe
Hey guys!! Pls help
So that's what happened is that my original flip key broke a bit and I though ow.. I'll buy one (eBay) and replace it.. It's just a plastic cover.
SO.. I did and when I went to try it on my car.. The remote didn't work, I've opened the door with the key and started the engain and it shot down after 2 sec and went into SAFE mode.

So I searched the web and found the way with shorting the battery and reprogramming the new key.. But didn't work..
Thoughts anyone?

Thank you so much! Don't want to tow it to the dealership.. It might go up to 600$ /:

The transponder for the immo is in the front of the plastic case. If you've still got it you should be able to carefully cut it out and put it in the new case

Thanks for responding !
Actually I've revised all and got back to the old key.. Still won't work, the remote won't work and the car still on safe mode

Has the transponder fallen out when you've been working on it?

Post a photo of the innards of the key.

Hey!! No I haven't remove nothing.. And placed everything back to the old one+ new battery.. :/.. Will post pics once I'm back there..

Any ideas ? Haven't open the upper part of the key - that the immo is in

So the engine cut out after 2 secs sounds like problem with the immobiliser. As others are saying it sounds like you didn't move the transponder when you changed the shell - although its odd that you've moved back to the old one and its not working (unless the immob fell out whilst you were changing it which I would say would have been pretty obvious as its housed in a small box inside the key).

It could be that your immob etc has developed an issue rather than the key. Do you have a second key and is that working ok/getting the engine to start. If that isn't then its worth a VCDS scan to see if there is some error with the immob function.

Try pressing & holding the unlock button, insert into ignition still holding button in, turn ignition to on for two seconds then off, remove key & release button.

Hey guys! So apperntly no easy way out.. I'm waiting on a locksmith (cheaper than towing and paying the dealers..)
We will see what's wrong once the computer is connected..

Did u ever find out the problem? Same thing has just happened to me......

HEY!
Well.. you have to go to the dealer ship.
you need a computer or another key with the chip.
if you have another key, it will do, if you don't.. its a computer thing.
i tried locksmiths - most of them won't touch an audi and don't have the equipment for it.
get a friend with AAA - take the car to the dealership and 100-150 for a new key & 100-150 for reprograming it. so around 300$ and thats if you managed to get the car to them - when its SAFE mode, you need a computer - thats what i found out. tried everything - with the shorting battery etc..

goodluck

I only got a new key as i was clean in around the rubbery bit that unlocks it etc and the bottom corner ripped.. put the old key back together and car went out of safe mode and started. I guess i got lucky with it but need to look into more along the lines with programming the new key. I, like yourself thought it was just a matter of swapping the PCB board over into the new key! Guess not!

There's a little immobiliser chip in the case of the key, it's separate to the main PCB. It also needs to be moved across to the new case.

It's like a little glass vial and is extremely delicate, to remove mine I softened the glue with some heat and very gently removed it.

You have to be really careful. If you break it, it's dealer time to have a new key coded to the car.