Bonnet Closing Issue

stevewr1

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Had a blown headlight this evening and went to change the bulb so after finishing that closed the bonnet and it now wont stay closed. I can move the mechanism up down with a screwdriver but i can then pop it back up easily with the screwdriver..broken latch??

I have only greased the latch a few months back and typical the car is due in for its mot on thursday..

They are usually sturdy so it may need slight adjustment

If it closed before why would it need adjusting ?? My money is on the arm .. Spray with some wd 40 and keep moving it .. Mine stuck a few months ago I wiggled it for ages to free it off but works fine now

Same here, just soaked the mech with wd40 and kept moving it until it completely freed, then greased it to avoid the same issue happening again

Well guys what a nightmare, spent about 5 hours trying to figure out what was wrong..ended up replacing the locking mechanism and that didnt solve it, adjusted the lock and hook and no joy, was totally baffled.

Turned out the arm must of bent up slightly over the years of opening and closing., I took it off and put cardboard behind it and refitted, closed no problem then.

That's a surprise cos the arms looks pretty strong and theres really little pressure on it.I wouldn't leave the cardboard in thereto rot.Cant you bend it straight or get a replacement?Also have you checked the rubber bump stops are OK?

That's a surprise cos the arms looks pretty strong and theres really little pressure on it.I wouldn't leave the cardboard in thereto rot.Cant you bend it straight or get a replacement?Also have you checked the rubber bump stops are OK?

I did look at the bump stops and there all in the right place, other than that i don't know? That's actually true about the cardboard..didn't think of that, I better replace the hook instead. Thanks mike!