Engine runs weak after 1 hour of driving.

Salveno

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have 2002 Audi A3 8L, 1.8 Non Turbo. APG Engine Code.
I've noticed after 1 hour of driving my car's engine loses power and it struggles to stay at 1000RPM when the car is idle, the needle goes between 400 - 900RPMs.
When the car is cold, It drives normal for an hour.

The car was misfiring last week and I replaced the MAF sensor and it did wonders.
When I get out of the car I can smell exhaust fumes or burnt oil.
My friend ran diagnostics on the car and it came up with "Replace EGR Valve", not sure where this valve is located.

The water temperature needle never moves beyond 60, but the car is staring normal in the morning and the radiator fan switches on when the car is hot.

Any suggestions on how to fix and where to look?

TIA

VK3r5m.jpg

Get yourself a copy of vag com (the lite version is available for free from their web site and you just buy a £7 lead from ebay)
Vag com will give you the actual codes, not what a generic code reader spits out.

Then go from there.

If the temp gauge isn't going above 60, it could be a coolant temp sensor. The black ones are duff, replace with a green OEM from audi or TPS.
It could also be the thermostat, amongst other things.

Get yourself on vag com or find a mate that has it and go from there dude.

This forum is full of helpful people and if you upload a copy of the codes the more experienced guys will come along to the rescue.

Scotty

The water temperature needle never moves beyond 60

I'd start at looking at the temperature; scan it. Does the temp never increase above 60? Even if your sitting stationary? A stuck open thermostat would mean the car would run cold when moving but it would heat up in traffic

If the engine is cold or the ECU thinks the engine is cold it will run rich; could be what your smelling?

suspect its the coolant temp sensor; the car is up to temp but the ECU thinks its cold and fuels rich for a cold engine and therefore struggles to idle nicely?

Reactions: tomjol and vivalacoulter
Hi All,
I have 2002 Audi A3 8L, 1.8 Non Turbo. APG Engine Code.
I've noticed after 1 hour of driving my car's engine loses power and it struggles to stay at 1000RPM when the car is idle, the needle goes between 400 - 900RPMs.
When the car is cold, It drives normal for an hour.

The car was misfiring last week and I replaced the MAF sensor and it did wonders.
My friend ran diagnostics on the car and it came up with "Replace EGR Valve", not sure where this valve is located.

The water temperature needle never moves beyond 60, but the car is staring normal in the morning and the radiator fan switches on when the car is hot.

TIA

VK3r5m.jpg
thanks mate.

I'd start at looking at the temperature; scan it. Does the temp never increase above 60? Even if your sitting stationary? A stuck open thermostat would mean the car would run cold when moving but it would heat up in traffic

If the engine is cold or the ECU thinks the engine is cold it will run rich; could be what your smelling?

suspect its the coolant temp sensor; the car is up to temp but the ECU thinks its cold and fuels rich for a cold engine and therefore struggles to idle nicely?
Thanks makes sense.