Tail light Problem

B5A4Guy

Reaction score
OK so first post....
But I think my problem can only be solved from your guy's feedback.

I own a 2001 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro and for the past week I've had my rear passenger driving light out.

I replaced the bulb and that did nothing. So I replaced the fuse (which was blown) and that gave it life again.

Less than 24 hours later it went out. So I replaced the 10A fuse with a 15A fuse and it blows that and every other fuse I put in the slot every time immediately when I turn my lights on

So every time I put a brand new fuse in and turn my lights on only that one fuse immediately blows and I don't have a rear driving light.

I'm at a loss onto what it wrong so I'm hoping somebody someone knows something
Thanks

Theres clearly something wrong with the circuit. NEVER put a larger fuse in. The fuse it there to protect the wiring and stop it all going up in smoke. If the fuse blows theres a short circuit or something going on causing it to draw too much current.

Try unplugging the lamp holder, and see if the fuse still blows. If it does, it must be a problem in the wiring loom or maybe the load monitoring module.

If the car has a tow bar, then check the towbar electrics for chafing or damage.

I had the same issue with my tail light not working and tried everything. It was irritating me for months. Sometimes it would work and other days it would not. I noticed a lot of corrosion on the light bulb electrical holder connection when I was replacing the light. So I disconnected the plastic piece that holds the light bulb from the car and took the light bulb out. You should see some metal tabs inside the light bulb holder. If you wire brush those tabs and use a tooth brush with vinegar it should clean them good enough for the light bulb to work with no issues. The bottom tab might also need to be bent upward with a flat head screw driver in order to give more resistance when the light bulb is inserted so it has a better connection. The bottom tab is harder to reach to clean so I used a 1/2" drill bit on my drill gun and lightly scuffed up the surface to clean up the corrosion. This helped solve my tail light issue after buying new parts and being very frustrated. Hope this helps