is this a caliper issue, please view photo.

Stuart B

Reaction score
My s3 brakes I thought were warped and were pretty poor.
I managed to undo the overtightened wheel nuts and check all the wheels. But my front brakes have got what look like new discs, but the pad is hardly touching , and doesn't straighten up when someone pushes on the brake pedal.

I was looking at New discs and pads but these look okay, just not straight.

Any ideas? Should I just bin them and replace with new grooved and drilled?

On close up the pad looks ruined, but it is the same on both sides? They look too close to the hub?

Thanks
IMAG1164 1

It certainly looks like it from that photo - (cameras are brilliant you cant see that detail kneeling down in the stinging nettles), that might be why it feels like the discs are warped when braking hard too as it is only braking on one side of the disc. and would explain why both wheels the same - as if the pads are the wrong size? as I said the discs have virtually no wear at all - but maybe that is why.

Thanks - I don't think I should be investing in new discs and pads at the moment for the front, but instead try and sort out getting the existing ones connecting to the discs.

These were the ones I was looking at for the front.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252089130438

Hmm could be worth measuring the pad and finding out what it is. Doesn't look safe to me buddy, wouldn't want to have to emergency stop on those.

I think mine are EBC discs with EBC redstuff pads, although I think some users aren't big fans, the previous owner fitted them new when he sold me the car. They seem pretty all right to me for now, seem to have plenty of stopping power but not that much feel.

hmm I might try to tap it back - might be easier to simply buy new as I don't trust those pads even if aligned properly.

thanks for you help, have a good evening.